Replacement transmission shaft too long, help!

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

Alex1nonly

Replacement transmission shaft too long, help!

Postby Alex1nonly » Fri May 19, 2017 4:51 pm

I purchased my new to me 2007 Pathfinder SE 2WD 180K at the end of January, within a week the transmission was studdering and pudding was in the radiator... I found a rebuillt RE5R05A transmission on ebay and the seller was only 1.5hr away from me. I was tempted to replace it myself but having never done it I looked around for a mechanic. I found a transmission guy that could do the install and replace the radiator for $500. I went with it, and picked up the "rebuilt transmission" and dropped it all off at his shop.
Things went south from there on, now 4 months later transmission is still on in.
The mechanic says the shaft is too long, he tried all the nissan torque converter but he says it doesnt seat all the way in for it to bolt on to the engine. He says it's about 1/2 inch too long.
He has since tore it apart and rebuilt as it was never rebuilt but that shaft is still too long.
I gave my pudding filled transmission in exchange for the one I have now so we can't compare.

I'm trying to find a solution without buying another transmission, is there another vehicule that would have the same transmission with a longer shaft?
Can that shaft be replaced?
Where can I find the specs for the transmission?
I'm trying to find answers for the mechanic that I don't have much faith in anymore

TIA

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Replacement transmission shaft too long, help!

Postby eieio » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:31 am

Alex1nonly wrote:I purchased my new to me 2007 Pathfinder SE 2WD 180K at the end of January, within a week the transmission was studdering and pudding was in the radiator... I found a rebuillt RE5R05A transmission on ebay and the seller was only 1.5hr away from me. I was tempted to replace it myself but having never done it I looked around for a mechanic. I found a transmission guy that could do the install and replace the radiator for $500. I went with it, and picked up the "rebuilt transmission" and dropped it all off at his shop.
Things went south from there on, now 4 months later transmission is still on in.
The mechanic says the shaft is too long, he tried all the nissan torque converter but he says it doesnt seat all the way in for it to bolt on to the engine. He says it's about 1/2 inch too long.
He has since tore it apart and rebuilt as it was never rebuilt but that shaft is still too long.
I gave my pudding filled transmission in exchange for the one I have now so we can't compare.

I'm trying to find a solution without buying another transmission, is there another vehicule that would have the same transmission with a longer shaft?
Can that shaft be replaced?
Where can I find the specs for the transmission?
I'm trying to find answers for the mechanic that I don't have much faith in anymore

TIA
have you asked the "rebuilder" that you got the transmission from about this?
it may be the wrong trans for your truck, possibly for an LE or?????
does he still have your old trans?
this is kind of a sad case for your mechanic, who has had your truck there for four months because of a part that he didn't even sell..........all for 500 bucks!

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”