Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Postby DanJetta » Tue May 30, 2017 8:13 pm

Just got a set of these and all four are defective. Had them remounted and balanced three times before a different shop finally put them on a Hunter and showed me that they were way out of round.

I'm bummed because they're a nice looking tire and they ride really smoothly (aside from the out-of-round wobbling).

Returning them tomorrow and going back to the Firestone Destination LE 2.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 31, 2017 10:02 pm

That's odd as they usually get great reviews. The former model, the LTX M/S2, was a great tire! I believe it was made in the US. That was replaced by the Defender LTX M/S, which I believe is made in Vietnam. I just recently purchased Kumho Crugen HT51's for what ended up costing me about $426 shipped after discounts and rebates (mounting not included). They appear very similar to the former LTX M/S2's but a little lighter. They get great reviews, but I haven't had a chance to install them yet.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:04 pm

I can definitely see why they would get good reviews. They look great and have a notably smoother ride. Surprisingly, some guys on the tech forums say they see quite a few defective LTXs. I was really looking forward to taking them through the sand in the Outer Banks this summer.

Let us know how you like the Kumhos when you get them on.

The thing I like about the Firestones is that they're quiet and stable on the highway and my last set lasted almost 70K miles. Super stable and they're great for MPG. They're hard and unforgiving, though, so you feel every gravel on the road.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:37 am

Nitto Duro Grapplers are the same way. They're tough, have a long treadlife, not too loud, reasonably priced...but have a harsh ride compared to the LTX M/S2's I had.

a fishin c

Postby a fishin c » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Just put these on at Costco. Expensive tire but smooth ride and lots of tread.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”