R51 wheel wells

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

R51 wheel wells

Postby Kestral » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am

I noticed on my 2012 R51 that my rear wheel wells the factory undercoating has worn away in some areas. No rust yet but I can see where it could start so I picked up some rubberized undercoating and I going to give it a few coats. The front is fine since most of it seems plastic. Anyway some of you may want to look close at your rear wheel wells to see how they are holding up.

By the way if you do research on rubberized undercoating you will get mixed reviews some say it's bad as if it cracks it will hold moisture and some say it works fine if the prep is correct and you know how to apply it. Anyway the reviews are so mixed that I said heck I'm going to try it and I will let everyone know how it holds up after a year of salt, sand and this brine that Western Massachusetts puts on the roads in the winter that is rated as 12 times more corrosive then rock salt!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Little update I coated my rear wheel wells today with Rubberized Undercoating and it went quite well. First I washed the wells with soap and water I then let them dry then I sprayed them down with brake clean and wiped them down with a rag to remove any oil that may be on there. I used two cans of undercoating per wheel well about 3 coats each well letting each coat dry for about 5 min each so it's layered. I will update you all on how it holds up.

Return to “R51 General Chat”