Largest tire that fits Patty w/o modification?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:17 am

NVSteve wrote:
Infinity-x wrote: Still searching around though.. what's the difference between P rated and LT E-Rated? I searched DiscountTire and they didn't offer a choice between the two?
P rated almost always come with some kind of treadwear warranty, whereas few of the LT tires do. P are more suited to pavement, although I have been off road with P rated tires for many, many years. P rated are lighter in weight. For example, you could have a P rated tire that weighs 48lbs & the same size tire in LT that comes in at 56lbs. Typically the biggest drawback with LT tires, because of the extra weight, is increased stopping distance, lower mpg (I have not seen this with mine) and a slight loss of perceived power. Biggest advantage with LT is ruggedness-they are built to withstand more abuse. Another advantage is tread depth. Again, looking at a P rated and LT rated tire of the same size, the P rated will have less depth. This varies from tire to tire, but LT tires can have anywhere from 4 to 6/32" more depth. P rated tires operate best at the PSI stated by the vehicle's mfr. Run a P rated over or under that pressure and bad things can happen. LT tires are far more flexible with PSI, meaning that they can be dropped below the mfrs stated PSI for off road, or quite a bit above for highway or the load being carried. This leads to LT tires also being able to carry heavier loads than P rated tires, but you will be running a higher PSI on a daily basis. There are charts out there on tire mfr sites that show what load corresponds to what PSI, so you can see what you generally need to be at to be comparable to a P rated tire. For instance, I believe my Pathfinder door sticker says something like 32 PSI per tire. I'm running about 41 PSI right now for my C rated LT tires. And then you have different flavors of LT tires, such as C, D and E.

Confused yet? Sorry for the jumble of an answer. Best bet is to google your question. Tons of sites out there discuss the differences.
Very confused.. but not because of your post - simply because I know nothing of tires :P ... I always appreciate information first hand from someone that has the same vehicle as me vs. going to a generic article that was written no telling how long ago.

It looks like the ones I'm looking at are LT rated C Load. I do a majority of highway driving, but I like the look of an aggressive tire so perhaps based on your input the LT is the way to go? I don't really do heavy offroading but I do enjoy taking the back road to work (45min) and it is pretty wavy/bumpy so I'd need a tire to be able to handle that.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Infinity-x wrote:
It looks like the ones I'm looking at are LT rated C Load. I do a majority of highway driving, but I like the look of an aggressive tire so perhaps based on your input the LT is the way to go? I don't really do heavy offroading but I do enjoy taking the back road to work (45min) and it is pretty wavy/bumpy so I'd need a tire to be able to handle that.
Is that back road paved? As I said, google it. Even though there are a ton of tire mfrs out their, each producing tons of different tires, LT vs P rated is more of a set in stone concept, meaning that articles you read discussing the two should be on the money.

I only went with LT for the durability and the extra tread depth. I do drive on fairly rugged roads/trails each year, and I also have to deal with snow/mud.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for a P rated tire. But, it is entirely up to you.

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 am

NVSteve wrote:
Infinity-x wrote:
Is that back road paved? As I said, google it. Even though there are a ton of tire mfrs out their, each producing tons of different tires, LT vs P rated is more of a set in stone concept, meaning that articles you read discussing the two should be on the money.

I only went with LT for the durability and the extra tread depth. I do drive on fairly rugged roads/trails each year, and I also have to deal with snow/mud.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for a P rated tire. But, it is entirely up to you.
No it's not, but being in South Carolina it may as well be considered to be unpaved.. our roads are absolutely horrid. I got a deal I couldn't turn down at Discount Tire, I tried searching local stores but they couldn't beat the price. Got a set of LT265/75r16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs for $179 each plus lifetime spins/balances yada yada etc etc. I'll post pics when they're installed! Should be getting them put on Saturday.

I'm gonna keep the tires that are on their now as they still probably have like 25% tread left. they're Dunlop AT tires.. not the worst tire in the world (the dealer installed them when I bought it)

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”