How to Paint and Color Fill Emblems - Ghost Style

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

kevinthefro

How to Paint and Color Fill Emblems - Ghost Style

Postby kevinthefro » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:45 am

The front emblem was done the same way. I just took more detailed pictures of the rear emblem.

I scuffed the surface with ScotchBite brown pad, then painted the whole thing satin black. The last coat was laid on thick. The wet paint fades to satin after drying for a day. Since the emblem got a final coat of satin clear, the black could have been gloss or flat, but I happened to have satin on hand.

After the black paint has dried thoroughly, mask off the area around the letters

Spray with gray

Before the gray dries, remove the tape, put mineral spirits on a paper towel, and rub the emblem on it face down to remove the gray from the face

After the gray had dried. Notice that the finish of the black paint has been dulled from rubbing it on the paper towel. clear-coating will make everything uniform. This is also an opportunity to sand out any dust nibs, like the one on the lower left.

Last edited by kevinthefro on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Just wanted to say great job man! The black on white contrast looks good.

Quick question and maybe I'm not getting it, but how did you get only the Nissan lettering grey? Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it and just confusing myself :?

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks!
I've updated the post with more explanation.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”