Drove new Toy Tacoma

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Drove new Toy Tacoma

Postby Kestral » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Waiting for my wife's Toyota Venza I drove a new Toyota Tacoma and here is my take. Tacoma loaded 4x4.

Drivetrain.. I felt the V6 lacked low end grunt it tries to make up for this with a six speed automatic that seems to hunt for the best gear a bit to much. Once moving along at 50 or so it has good power but nothing special.

Ride.. It rode good although I felt the bed/body move around over bumps a bit to much. Frankly I believe it is the Toyota frame lacking stiffness to improve the ride while leaving a bit of flexible flyer.

Handling / braking.. Not much to report here it handled like a small truck and the brakes were solid.

Inside.. The dash was nice and modern if not a bit overdone/Hollywood. The seating position is better then the last model but still legs forward seating that I don't care for (You sit on the Nissan Frontier you sit in the Toyota Tacoma) it's sort of like that. The seats were some sort of (Pleather) fake leather that frankly was not real good and it felt like it would not last.

Price.. $41,000 I feel a bit much

Why I would buy a Nissan Frontier over the Tacoma..

Let's start with price you can buy a new Frontier 4 door 4x4 with the off road pkg for around $4,000 less! Now what do you gain or loose.

Drivetrain.. The Nissan VQ40DE V6 4.0 deffenetly has more low end Torque or it deffenetly seems so and it does not hunt for gears like the Tacoma 6 speed. Reliability?? We really don't know but reports are the new V6 in the Tacoma has had a few issues. The Tocoma gets better millage can't recall what off hand.

Ride, Handleing, and braking, The Yota rides better but much of that better ride comes from the frame being less stiff and I would be willing to bet not nearly as strong as the Frontier. (I owned a 06 Toyota 4Runner before my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and I can tell you the frame is significantly stiffer and more beefy then the Toyota) The brakes seem better on the Yota and I don't notice much difference in the Handleing although the bed did not bounce around nearly as much on the Frontier again frame stiffness??

Inside .. The new Toyota has a nice modern dash but frankly I have no issues with the industrial Frontier dash.

So I am having trouble justifying the cost difference.

By the way both trucks were 4 door models and I drove a new Nissan Frontier 3 months ago.

bambox

Postby bambox » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 am

Nice review. I didn't have a chance to drive yet, but I saw someone on facebook liking the photos of it saying he may buy it or lease it. I'll write to him, maybe DSRLeasing got it in stock so I can get him some discount and he will let me drive it a bit :P

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:14 am

Reading over my post I realized I forgot to mention a real big Toyota issue RUST!! Toyota trucks rust out real bad full size as well as the Tacoma. If you live in the snow belt this can be a big issue. I have a good friend that is a service man for a local Toyota dealership he has worked there for many years and he has replaces many Toyota frames due to rust and he just told me he will be replacing some of the more current (under 4 year old models) real soon.

My 2012 Nissan Pathfinder has significantly less rust underneath the truck then my 2006 Toyota 4Runner did after 5 years. Actually there is no comparison at all my 4Runner was really rusted underneath.

Boyce Noun

used Nissan

Postby Boyce Noun » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:22 pm

That reminds me my 2010 Nissan
used vehicle inspection

Return to “General Automotive”