2005 4.0 V-6 Timing Chain Cover Removal

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Jkub

Postby Jkub » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 am

Hello,
I am in the process of replacing the timing chains on my 2005 Pathfinder and I am having a really tough time getting the front cover removed. The "Gasket Maker" material used to adhere the cover is really giving me fits to separate. The Nissan repair manual does show a special seal cutter but there are some areas of the cover that I don't think this tool could even be used even I did have one. I have been using multiple thin gasket scrapers and thin pry bars to insert and apply separating pressure but it will not cut loose. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on a different method to go about doing this?

Thanks,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:16 pm

I've done several and it's a real pain. I just use a paint scrapper and hammer it around the edge of the cover to get as much of the sealant cut through as possible and then pry it off. Hopefully, you didn't forget any bolts!

Jkub

Postby Jkub » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks smj999smj,
That is what I have been doing but I am really have trouble with the rectangular opening in upper center of the cover. The opening is so small that getting a scrapper/knife into it is really tough and I am prying really hard but it wont separate. I am even considering breaking the cover and just replacing it :x . I triple checked to make sure all the bolts are out but i will recheck once more...

Jkub

Postby Jkub » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks for the help, I was able to get it off!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:17 am

Make sure you tap the dowels into the cover before you install it, which will keep them from getting in the way. Once you have it mated to the rear cover and few bolts are installed, you can hammer the dowels and they will push into the holes in the front of the block. Use gray RTV. Personally, I prefer using the caulk tube of Permatex Ultra Gray Rigid High-torque RTV and a caulk gone. You're going to be laying down a lot of sealant!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”