Talk me out of getting Denso vs NGK spark plugs

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Talk me out of getting Denso vs NGK spark plugs

Postby disallow » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Hey all,

I'm going to do the plugs on my 2010 Rogue, and the factory plug is a NGK 9029 DILKAR6A11 Laser Iridium. They run for $18.77 CAD each on RockAuto.

The Denso 4711 Iridium Long-Life; Iridium TT go for $6.70 each.

Both claim 100000 mile change intervals. Denso is an OE part on many cars (though not Nissan).

If it was my Pathy, I wouldn't even ask, but the Rogue is more of a work beater. Just rolled 100000 miles, so its ready for plugs.

Thoughts?

Thanks
t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 pm

It's a tough argument to make, as they are both pretty similar in design. Both Denso and NGK make quality plugs; NGK is the largest OEM spark plug manufacturer in the world and the sole spark plug supplier to Nissan and an OEM supplier of plugs to all Asian makes, Jeep, GM and Saturn, VW and BMW, to name a few, and Denso (formerly Nippendenso) was once owned entirely by Toyota, later became an independent company with about 25% still owned by Toyota. Denso is the second largest auto parts supplier in the world.
The best argument that can be made for the NGK Laser Iridium is that it is "the" original equipment spark plug for the 2010 Rogue. You know it will work without question for the 105,000 mile service interval recommended by Nissan. Personally, I have pulled NGK Laser Platinums out of Pathfinders with 120,000 miles on them and they still looked like they had plenty of life left on them. Having worked as a Nissan tech for 16 years, I became a big fan of NGK plugs and use them in everything I own with a gas engine, not just cars. With the thousands of NGK plugs I've handled over the years, I've only run into one bad plug: a 1995 Maxima that had an NGK plug with a crack in the porcelain causing a misfire.
I have used the Denso Iridium TT plugs once, when I owned a 2003 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L. They worked and they were less expensive than the NGK options. If I had to replace spark plugs in one of my vehicles and for whatever reason, there were no NGK plugs available, I would go with Denso. IMO, it's the only other spark plug that comes close to NGK. Again, that's my personal opinion.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:02 pm

I have bad personal experiences with the cheaper Denso plug. Two out of 8 plugs (4cyl hondas) had funky wear on them prematurely.
Switched to NGK, and runs flawless again.

No clue what plugs are in my pathy.

Return to “General Automotive”