Streering question

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Streering question

Postby jetstream87 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:58 pm

This weekend I got the mechanic to replaced my shocks, struts, turned my rotors, and replaced my axles. We made the discovery that both axles were broken in which they came out but in pieces. Now my car makes a clicking sound when I turned to the right, can it be the Rack and pinion going bad? The steering doesnt return back when I turn. What are the signs of a bad rack and pinion?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 am

Symptoms of a bad steering R&P include leaks, no power assist in one or in both directions. If you are hearing a clicking noise, I would be looking at the axles that were just installed or for a bad hub (usually clicking occurs on the good hub when one of the hubs is bad). I would take it back to the mechanic who did the job.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 am

smj999smj wrote:Symptoms of a bad steering R&P include leaks, no power assist in one or in both directions. If you are hearing a clicking noise, I would be looking at the axles that were just installed or for a bad hub (usually clicking occurs on the good hub when one of the hubs is bad). I would take it back to the mechanic who did the job.
I can turn the steering wheel with no problem just the problem is that it doesn't return back after the turn or responds back quickly on the inputs. Yeah it only clicks when I turn it but its one click, I am going to get my go pro and record it in order to ensure that is it. I will have it up here probably later on.

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 am

Did you check to see if the rack assembly is moving when you turn the wheel? If it is then it might explain some of your symptoms.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 am

Hooligan wrote:Did you check to see if the rack assembly is moving when you turn the wheel? If it is then it might explain some of your symptoms.
I took it to a shop today and it turns out that on the left side there is a piece of metal that was screwed on in which on the right side it doesn't have that metal at all! Its like a U shape metal, will take pictures in order to see if that belongs there or not.

They told me that I needed a new rack and pinion since it tends to move when I they turn the steering wheel along with bushings. The shop said that explains why I feel the car shake when I hit the breaks and the rattling when on bumps and applying the brakes. On the right side of the rack and pinion it looks like the boot is starting to leak as well.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 am

smj999smj wrote:Symptoms of a bad steering R&P include leaks, no power assist in one or in both directions. If you are hearing a clicking noise, I would be looking at the axles that were just installed or for a bad hub (usually clicking occurs on the good hub when one of the hubs is bad). I would take it back to the mechanic who did the job.
Thank fully it wasn't the axle that was causing the problem, it turns out there is a metal there that is placed for some odd reason, I will post a picture in order to ensure if it needs to be there or not. I do realize that I need a new rack and pinion along with the bushings thou!

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 pm

A rebuilt unit can be had for about 200. or slightly more. The bushings are available in polyeurthane. It's not that big a deal to change yourself if you follow up with an alignment.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”