Brake Contoller Fuse

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

PicklePath

Brake Contoller Fuse

Postby PicklePath » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 pm

My Tekonsha P3 brake controller stopped working on my 2012 Pathfinder LE. I made a dumb mistake and disconnected it while the ignition was on. The end of the harness somehow managed to touch something metal and spark. I know, that was dumb.

All of the trailer lights still work, so I tested the brake controller harness with my multimeter and found there is no power getting to the brake controller. So, I suspect a fuse is bad.

I see on the fuse box cover there is a 30 amp fuse labeled Elec Brake. This sounds to me like the fuse I am looking for. However, its an odd looking fuse and I am not sure how to check it or replace it. Am I looking at the correct fuse? How do I pull it to check and replace?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:23 am

That's a "fusible link," not a fuse, hence the "F/L" before the "30A." You check it my looking through the widow and see if the metal link is "open."

PicklePath

Postby PicklePath » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Well, the fusible links don't look open to me.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Image[/img]

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:40 pm

I would think that's more likely the fuse for the power line to the trailer socket for the electric brake rather than a fuse for power to the controller. On my 06 Pathy, there are two relay boxes that sit between the battery and the IPDM, one small box a larger, rectangular box. In the larger of the two boxes between the battery and IPDM, is several relays and about five regular fuses. Check those fuses.

PicklePath

Postby PicklePath » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Well, I have gone through all the fuses that have anything related to towing and dont see any with a broken wire, but a few look scorched. I'll replace them and see what happens.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 pm

If you pop off the window on the fusible links, you can use a 12v test light on both sides to see if they're good. Or, you could remove them and use a continuity tester. I don't think the power to the brake controller is powered by a fusible link directly, but by a regular fuse...probably 15A or 20A, if I were to take a guess. Did you check the fuses that I mentioned in my previous post? I'll try to locate a wiring diagram in the meantime.

PicklePath

Postby PicklePath » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 pm

I checked and even replaced all of the fuses having anything to do with towing. This includes the fuses in the main fuse block, plus the fuses in the next box in front of the main fuse box. Unfortunately still no power.

Seems like its time to take it to the shop.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:50 pm

There are a butt load of in line fuses under the steering wheel area. I would bet real money you have a fuse blown there somewhere. Pain in the ass to get to, but I would follow the wires going to the controller. I will try to snap a pic of mine later.

Not sure why they put so many in line fuses down there. Even Nissan got in on the action and put 2 10 amp fuses for the L and R tail lights. They are in fuse holders wrapped in electrical tape.

At least on my 2005.

But pretty much guaranteed there is an inline fuse for your aftermarket controller there somewhere.

Good luck.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 pm

disallow wrote:There are a butt load of in line fuses under the steering wheel area. I would bet real money you have a fuse blown there somewhere. Pain in the ass to get to, but I would follow the wires going to the controller. I will try to snap a pic of mine later.

Not sure why they put so many in line fuses down there. Even Nissan got in on the action and put 2 10 amp fuses for the L and R tail lights. They are in fuse holders wrapped in electrical tape.

At least on my 2005.

But pretty much guaranteed there is an inline fuse for your aftermarket controller there somewhere.

Good luck.
Those fuses were only in the 2005 and maybe some 2006 models, if I remember correctly. I don't believe his 2012 model has them. However, there are some fuses behind the cover that you can see when you open the glove box; I'm just not sure if any of them are for the tow harness?

PicklePath

Postby PicklePath » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 pm

I gave up and took it to the dealer. I need the trailer brakes as I am about to leave on a trip. Turns it the culprit was the 30 amp fusible link. While it looked OK, the tech tested it and found that it had failed.

So, for anyone else that has a similar problem in the future, make sure to test this 30 amp fusible link.

Return to “R51 Electrical”