Creeking and clunking driving me insane!

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Jerseyguy

Creeking and clunking driving me insane!

Postby Jerseyguy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi everyone, so i got this creeking noise coming from the drivers side front end. Looked for the culprit but came up empty so i decided i would start with the struts since they were the originals and almost 10 years old. Went with the Rancho quick lift setup with the springs. Put them in and still had the creeking noise. Upon further inspection i noticed the boot was torn on the upper ball joint and also that the stabilizer bushings were looking quite worn and cracked so i replaced the upper control arm, stabilizer bushings and stabilizer end links. No luck, still had the creeking noise. At this point i thought ok it must be the lower control arm bushing so i replaced the lower control arm and just my luck... you guessed it. Still have this loud creek and now i am also getting a thud clunk noise when i take turns.
This thing is driving me insane! Anyone have any suggestions on what it might be?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 am

Some have had luck wrapping electrical tape around the hood latch.

With regards to the new clunk I'd check to make sure you got that control arm in correctly. Also the stabilizer links can be quite finicky. a jack under the control arm while the truck is on a stand should help you line these up perfectly.

Also note that after you put in new control arms, you need an alignment as you've messed with the eccentric bolts affecting your camber.

One user reported a frame mount that was causing squeaking. perhaps you could squirt some lubricant at suspect parts to see if the noise changes or goes away.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”