Deep Scratches

Let's go, Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars...Fight!

Moderator: volvite

blackbeagle

Deep Scratches

Postby blackbeagle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:44 pm

The other day, as I backed up my 2014 PF, I turned and rubbed the front wheel well against the wall. My color is white. Now, there are deep scratches. THe black is showing. Touch up paint won't fix this. It's about blob about 6"x6". What are my options? Nothing id dented so I don't want to take it to Abra to fix. What can I use to fix this myself?

Thanks-

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:09 pm

I'm thinking body shop. Its not cheap to fix stuff like this, and stuff you can do yourself just doesn't cut it.

larken

Postby larken » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:42 pm

Did you ever fix the scratch by yourself?

acemanuel

Postby acemanuel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Probably let a detailing shop work on it.

truetolife23

Re: Deep Scratches

Postby truetolife23 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm

blackbeagle wrote:The other day, as I backed up my 2014 PF, I turned and rubbed the front wheel well against the wall. My color is white. Now, there are deep scratches. THe black is showing. Touch up paint won't fix this. It's about blob about 6"x6". What are my options? Nothing id dented so I don't want to take it to Abra to fix. What can I use to fix this myself?

Thanks-

That's bad for you but you know what. You might wanna try this process. It might work for you because it worked for me before.

How to repair deep scratches on vehicles

Make sure you buy the same paint color. You can do this by looking for a little plate found on your car’s firewall. There should be a body number and paint code number written on it. If you can’t find it, contact the dealer where you purchased your vehicle.

Wash and dry your car very well. This is important, since dirt and other debris can cause more scratches when you do your repair. When you clean your car, focus more on the damaged areas.

Sand the area. Buy a 2000-grit dry or wet sandpaper and wrap it around a sanding pad to begin sanding. You should sand only enough to get through the clear coat, and nothing more. Use only one direction when sanding. You can rinse with water periodically when sanding. This helps you to see clearly how far to sand. If the scratch goes slightly deeper than the clear coat, you need to use a 1500-grit sandpaper first and then shift to the 2000-grit sandpaper. Rinse the area again, and wipe the surface dry. You should only use a microfiber cloth when doing this, since others can cause small, light scratches on your vehicle’s surface.

Get tape (a masking tape is ideal) to cover areas near the scratch. This will ensure that the primer only goes to the scratch—and nowhere else.

Apply a thin dab of primer on the scratch. Wait for it to dry off completely.

Mix the paint color. You can use a touch-up bottle for this.

Apply the paint, and cover the surface of the scratch entirely. Work from the edges, inward. If the surface is extremely small, you can use a matchstick or toothpick to apply the paint. Be careful not to add too much paint. If it’s thicker than the surrounding areas, then get a small tissue and very lightly place it on the surface of the paint so it will absorb the excess.

Allow the paint to dry completely for several days.

Wax and polish the entire car so the paint will be thoroughly blended. It will also give it a great shine.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:45 pm

TruetL Great first post! Welcome to The Path! :D

Return to “Detailing Details”