Window motor or regulator?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Merrix

Window motor or regulator?

Postby Merrix » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:19 pm

My driver window has been working just fine until the other day after hitting the auto down (window had opened fully), the window no longer wanted to roll up. I can hear the motor spinning each direction but no action. I just removed the panel to inspect and of course nothing is easy to see. Regulator seems to be fine, cables are intact and tight. After pulling window fully up, I rolled the window down... window wants to go down but very slowly and just the weight of my hand on the window while pressing down on switch, the window will go down. Going up though, I do not feel the motor trying.

Does the motor have a plastic gear that could have worn out or is there some other issue I am unaware off?

Thank you

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:08 pm

What often happens is the plastic guide on the regulator breaks and causes the wire inside the cables to loose tension, break or jam. However, a power widow motor can certainly fail, as well. If you can't see what's wrong looking inside the door, you will have to remove the assembly for inspection. That said, you can get power window regulator assembly w/ motor for around $45-$50 from Rockauto.com; that's the way I usually go.

Merrix

Postby Merrix » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:08 pm

smj999smj wrote:What often happens is the plastic guide on the regulator breaks and causes the wire inside the cables to loose tension, break or jam. However, a power widow motor can certainly fail, as well. If you can't see what's wrong looking inside the door, you will have to remove the assembly for inspection. That said, you can get power window regulator assembly w/ motor for around $45-$50 from Rockauto.com; that's the way I usually go.
Thank you for the reply. Since the assembly is inexpensive, I'll probably just replace it all and call it good.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”