did water pump, now cranks no start

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

zoodragon

did water pump, now cranks no start

Postby zoodragon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:06 am

well adding to my list of issues.

i swear im going to just get rid of this thing....

anyways

i was having problems with overheating. took it to a shop and they said "i think it's headgaskets"

didnt like the "i think" part so i took it to another shop that said "i think it's headgaskets"

wasnt leaking coolant.
no oil in coolant.
no coolant in oil
no white smoke

i didnt trust them so right when i was about to throw in the towel and just trade in for something else i decided ill take it apart and see what i find.

took the water pump cover off and found out that the chain had fallen off the pulley

upon further inspection i found out that this water pump isnt even the right pump. it only had 1 set of gear teeth unlike the ones im seeing online that show 2.

followed your typical instructions,

removed accessories.

turn crank to loosen chain on tensioner, remove tensioner, turn crank to loosen chain on water pump, remove pump, install new pump, turn crank to loosen tension on tensioner side, install new tensioner, reinstall accessories

the only * i have to all this is i cant remember if i turned crank clockwise or counter clockwise. instructions said counter clockwise.

go to crank it up and it cranks, but wont start. let it crank for about 30-45 seconds each time until the battery died.

thoughts?

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Timing should not be an issue with water pump reinstallation, as it does not affect valves opening. The turning of crankshaft first clockwise to loose timing chain on tensioner before removal, then counterclockwise when removing pump with sprocket, and finally clockwise when installing new tensioner is all about having timing chain loose enough on the side of tensioner and sprocket to allow you to install parts.

What might be an issue is:
- are you sure water pump and sprocket were properly engaged when installing? If they were not, then not only water pump will not run, but chain will get loose!
- did you pull out the stopper pin from new tensioner? Chain might be off-sync due to non-proper tension.
- did you install O-rings properly? The one with white mark on front side of engine and the black one to the rear? But that would not prevent from starting.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”