STALLING

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

fjmiller

STALLING

Postby fjmiller » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:48 pm

HELP!! P{osted earlier but no repolies..My 04 pathy spent a week in a shop while I was out of town for stalling....they could find nothing wrong,(mechanic even took home back and forth). I decided to replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, thermostat, and spark plugs., but not that any of these had failed...(plugs had 60000.) When I picked it up, ran great (as usual).
Then a one day road trip, 113 miles one way mostly freeway. parked for 4 hours then return same route. Only varilable was time of day. (going early am, coming back, late am). so outside air temp was hotter. (Tucson, AZ). (90 degrees). car runs at 80mph with no problemo. As we get to the end of long offramp it simply dies!!!. I try to restart and just turns over...wiat 5-10 minutes and fires up..
I am trying to get ready to pull a small travel trailor (17 ft)(2,600 lbs.) and need to get to the bottom of this dang problem. I believe it is temperature related. Thoughts, opinions?? vapor lock? fuel line getting to hot and "boiling the gas???????? :?: :?: :shock:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Any mil light? Error code? Maybe the new fuel pump is no good or installed incorrectly.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:37 pm

I would suspect a bad cam position or crank position sensor, especially if it's heat related. I would check for stored codes.

fjmiller

Postby fjmiller » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:05 pm

smj999smj wrote:I would suspect a bad cam position or crank position sensor, especially if it's heat related. I would check for stored codes.
THANKS!!! i AM GOING TO TAKE TO DEALER TOMORROW AM, I DO HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LITE ON DASH NOW. (LAST 2 EVENTS, NO LIGHTS). THE SHOP I HAD IT AT COULD FIND NO STORED CODES...SO I WILL BRING UP YOUR POINTS TO SERVICE MANAGER AND SEE IF I GET A BLANK STARE...LOL
I SUSPECT THAT THIS IS DUE TO EXCESSIVE HEAT EFFECTS...I JUST DONT KNOW WHICH COMPONENT IS GETTING OVERHEATED.
MY HOOD HAS THE FACTORY INSULATING BOARD ATTACHED TO UNDERSIDE, SO THOUGHT OF REMOVING IT TO GIVE THE ENGINE A LITTLE MORE ROOM TO DISSIPATE THE HEAT IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT..HAVING MOVED TO AZ LAST YEAR THIS HEAT DOWN HERE IS A DEFINITE FACTOR IN MY CARS FUNCTIONING.

fjmiller

Postby fjmiller » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm

smj999smj wrote:I would suspect a bad cam position or crank position sensor, especially if it's heat related. I would check for stored codes.
:lol: You nailed it! the error code showed bad crankshaft position sensor. got this from the dealer. then picked up the car and took it to my regular mechanic who saved me 50% on the part and labor.

BTW, I see you have an aftermarket radiator. What was wrong with the OEM one??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:00 pm

fjmiller wrote:
:lol: You nailed it! the error code showed bad crankshaft position sensor. got this from the dealer. then picked up the car and took it to my regular mechanic who saved me 50% on the part and labor.

BTW, I see you have an aftermarket radiator. What was wrong with the OEM one??
Many 05-10 Pathfinders and same year, V6 Frontiers and Xterras have issues with trans cooler failures in the bottom tank of the radiator which causes cross-contamination and can ruin the automatic trans. I replaced mine as "preventative maintenance."

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”