Headlight Upgrade - Fog light replacement with Hella 90mm

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

airborneranger

Postby airborneranger » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Where did you get the sheet metal mounting brackets? Were they custom?

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:27 pm

i looked the kit up on the site he posted and i think they came with the lights

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:41 am

Correct, I purchased them with the lights for an extra couple of bucks a piece.

airborneranger

Postby airborneranger » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 pm

No kidding those mounts are really a pain in the butt. I tried and tried to get them in but to no avail. One of the plastic sockets even broke a little bit.

I'm still in the middle of putting the stuff together. How do you lock the plastic mounts to the fog light? I can't seem to get enough grip to turn them into the notches.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:12 am

Not exactly sure of your question, and this may be obvious, but you have to make sure to put the plastic sockets into the metal bracket first, then pop in the ball side of the bolts. In the reverse order you'd never be able to get them in.

They're both pretty tough to put in, but nothing that a pair of gloves and a little muscle on the workbench didn't fix.

It worked for me, but does seem like the design could be improved to make it a little easier without the risk of breaking something.

airborneranger

Postby airborneranger » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:44 am

I don't have much muscle :cry:

I get the part that getting the ball mounts into the socket.

Do I need to attach the adjustable screws to the fog light before putting them into the sockets on the mount?

How do I turn the three pronged plastic pieces to lock it into place. Does that just take muscle and a strong grip? Or is there a tool I can use to facilitate the grip and turn?

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Oh, you mean the round threaded pieces that attach the screws to the fog light? Now that you mention it, I do vaugely remember struggling with that. You need to look really closely and they're keyed so they have to go in and turn a certain way to engage. I can't remember if I might have used a screwdriver or some other tool to help turn them and lock them in. I remember sitting there wondering how the hell it was supposed to fit together, then having a smack-hand-on-forehead moment.

Without having it in front of me it's pretty tough to recollect...probably should have written it down the first time. Hope that helps somewhat though.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Question, has anyone swapped out the fog light bulbs, like some of us did on the Headlights (Silverstars?)

I did the headlights recently and was really surprised by the improvement, (but NOTHING like my s/t/b xwife's Honda CRV? Goddam, you can land a plane in front of her "truck")

So? Anyone? I'm just not into the recontructive surgery lsited here since my headlights did wonders for me personally (by the way, we never realized how LOW they were adjusted until we swapped in the first bulb, wow Nissan, wtf!)

(sorry if I kidnap the thread)

MM

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:25 am

i swapped to HIDs and love it ill be doing this mod also later in the future so that will really help with the HIDs in

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:13 am

HID foglights?

MM

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 am

Mr Mayor wrote:Question, has anyone swapped out the fog light bulbs, like some of us did on the Headlights (Silverstars?)

I did the headlights recently and was really surprised by the improvement, (but NOTHING like my s/t/b xwife's Honda CRV? Goddam, you can land a plane in front of her "truck")

So? Anyone? I'm just not into the recontructive surgery lsited here since my headlights did wonders for me personally (by the way, we never realized how LOW they were adjusted until we swapped in the first bulb, wow Nissan, wtf!)

(sorry if I kidnap the thread)

MM
I changed my fog bulbs to PIAA ones... You can find info on them in my pics in my signature.... Much better!

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 pm

And these are direct, plug in replacements right? Whats with the yellow btw?

MM

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Mr Mayor wrote:And these are direct, plug in replacements right? Whats with the yellow btw?

MM
Yes both the headlights & fogs are plug and play... I had the Extreme White fogs at first and changed to the Ion Crystal (yellow) .... they work much better in fog (do not reflect back as much)...
I've used PIAA bulbs in the Pathfinder since it was about a week old... and in a Frontier & Xterra before that with very good results... They are a bit pricey though.......... Triffid

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 pm

I've been running the 9007SU Sylverstar Ultras in the headlights for some time. I just put the H11ST in the fog lights and did notice a nice improvement. I drive with both the headlights and the fog lights on at night.

And there is never fog in AZ!

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:48 pm

We rarely get fog here, polution in/around Newark airport is far more likely...

Will swap in foglights soon.. thanks for the help guys, and sorry if I kidnapped the thread...

MM

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”