HELP- engine overheated last night

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jmart0047

HELP- engine overheated last night

Postby jmart0047 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 am

So I purchased a 2007 LE at the end of May with 168k miles on it. I know what you're thinking, Im asking for issues. But there was 1 owner that did regular maintenance, new transmission around 140k miles among other things. Anyways, Ive barely driven it 3k miles and I've already had to replace radiator and resevoir cap for the coolant because it spewed everywhere. So last night while idling in traffic I realized my car was surrounded by a cloud of steam and my gauge was just under H. I pulled over to a parking lot and had a trail of coolant behind me. After refilling the radiator with coolant I tried to get closer to a mechanic to avoid a hefty tow bill. Got a mile and I was steaming up again but the gauge wasnt even budging from midway between C and H. So my pathy is now in the shop as I wait to see if *fingers crossed* its just a hose. Should I look into a doing the radiator bypass to avoid bigger problems? how much has this ran people? I purchased my path for 5k I'd hate to have my next problem be the trans and im out more than the cars worth.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:05 pm

I would suspect that they have replaced the radiator when the transmission was replaced. Look for a Calsonic sticker on the top tank of the radiator; if there is no sticker, it is likely an aftermarket replacement, which, so far, have not been known to have any issues. If it does and it is original, you will likely see the part #'s 21460-EA215 or 21460-EA265, in which case, I would bypass or (better) replace the radiator. If you see another #, let us know.
The common coolant leak problem on these vehicles is a plastic union that is part of the heater hose assembly; the coolant line runs along the back of the engine compartment and the plastic union is on the passenger side of the firewall where the heater hoses attach to the pipes of the heater core. It is replaced as an assembly. If you don't have rear heat, the part isn't too expensive, but if you do, it runs around $175-200.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”