Coolant type

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Coolant type

Postby Kestral » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Do I need to use Nissan radiator coolant or is there a cheep Wall Mart alternative?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:40 pm

You didn't mention what type of coolant you had, which would be helpful. The short answer is "yes," you can use the "works with all colors" universal anti-freezes, like Prestone or Walmart's SuperTech anti-freeze. The coolant you choice should be catagorized as a phosphated OAT or hybrid OAT coolant. If you use concentrated, then be sure to mix with distilled or de-mineralized water (not tap water).
Nissan has two "long-life" coolants that it uses and both are made by Pentosin. For a long time, they used Pentosin Pentafrost A2 green coolant, which Nissan recommended replacement at 90,000 miles initially and then at 60,000 mile intervals afterwards.
Around 2010, Nissan started incorporating blue coolant, which was actually Pentosin Pentafrost A3 coolant, which is available only as a pre-mix and is labeled as a "super extended life coolant." It is good for 150,000 miles. It is compatible with green coolant, but any green coolant in the system will take away from it's longevity.
You can get Pentosin from Rockauto and Advanced Auto Parts, among other sources. Personally, if I had Nissan Blue coolant, I would stick with the blue coolant just for the sake of the long service life.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”