Engine Considerations for Bigger Tires

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

RedZeppelin

Engine Considerations for Bigger Tires

Postby RedZeppelin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:58 am

Hi all, wasn't sure if this should go in Brakes/Tires/Wheels or here but here goes.

I found a great deal on some 35s (315/70R17 specifically) and I've determined that with some new 0mm offset wheels they should fit with only very minor modification since I have it lifted enough. Before I pull the trigger, besides the obvious need to regear the diffs, are there any considerations about extra wear on engine components I need to worry about? Some users over at thenewx were concerned about the structural integrity of the R180 when going up to this size. Would a locker install alleviate these concerns? I understand there might be some drop in MPGs and highway speed but is there anything else I'm overlooking?

Thanks

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Can't wait to see it! I think with the regear you will alleviate any engine issues. Not regearing would require the higher engine rpms that would likely increase engine wear.

Either the ARB or the Lokka would replace the spider gears that are the weak point in our R180. For more than the Lokka but less than the ARB you could swap a M205 to provide more axle shaft strength.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”