New Member - Things to look for

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

a-Sarkar

New Member - Things to look for

Postby a-Sarkar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:44 am

Hey Everyone,

New member here, actively looking for a R50 pathfinder to take over daily duties while current daily is being garaged (pic below). Have done some preliminary research and seems what I should be looking for is a 01+ with the VQ35. Any notable things that I should look out or keep in mind when purchasing this specific vehicle with around 110k-120k miles?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by a-Sarkar on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:38 pm

Rust and rot out at the bottom of the front strut towers; there is a recall on this problem currently. Some had problems with the power valve screws falling out and into the engine due to insufficient threadlocker applied at the factory, but there's no way to tell if they are tight or not without removing the upper plenum. Rear suspension link bushings are prone to failure, causing the back end to wander while driving.
The big difference between the 01-and newer versus 96-00 is the engine. The early 3.3L was very reliable, but not great on gas mileage nor power. The later 3.5L was much more powerful and a little better on gas mileage, but more prone to check engine light issues.

a-Sarkar

Postby a-Sarkar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 pm

smj999smj wrote:Rust and rot out at the bottom of the front strut towers; there is a recall on this problem currently. Some had problems with the power valve screws falling out and into the engine due to insufficient threadlocker applied at the factory, but there's no way to tell if they are tight or not without removing the upper plenum. Rear suspension link bushings are prone to failure, causing the back end to wander while driving.
The big difference between the 01-and newer versus 96-00 is the engine. The early 3.3L was very reliable, but not great on gas mileage nor power. The later 3.5L was much more powerful and a little better on gas mileage, but more prone to check engine light issues.
Thanks for the info, will keep in mind for the things that can be seen from what you've mentioned. Ah, I guess it is a trade off between the 3.3 and 3.5, but would definitely like as much stock power as I can get. Viewing an 04' this week, we'll see how that goes!

a-Sarkar

Postby a-Sarkar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Picked this up last weekend with 130k miles (208km), Grey on black 2001 Pathfinder LE. No rust, recalls all done, and came with bags in the rear as a plus.

Just completed following services: Front & Rear diff fluid, transfer case fluid, coolant flush, power steering fluid and oil change. Spark plugs and tranny flush done recently by previous owner.

Shop said I need a new oil pan as well and have the part on the way. Shocks will also be needing replacement within the next year or so, planning on going with GR-2 in the fronts and Gas-a-just's in the rear. Can't wait to start dailying her next week :D

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”