06 pathy - Head gasket issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

kirandb

06 pathy - Head gasket issue

Postby kirandb » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi,

I have 06 pathy 2WD with 165K on it. Recently it overheated on the freeway.
The radiator did run out of coolant and it was there was smoke when i had to tow it. The mechanic said that it could be a possible head gasket issue which could run about $2400 to fix it. This is to just fix the head gasket including machining of the heads i believe. I was told that the engine failed the block test and it would barely start. I towed it back home. Now when i start, it starts atleast with white smoke coming out of exhaust. it smells weird too.
I had a second opinion with another mechanic and he said we could fix the gasket using some kind of coolant which costas abt $85ti seal this. It definitely sounds cheap but just wondering as to which way to go. Not sure if this cheap fix wll ruin the car further. Also I dont to try to get it fixed if the mechanic says that the timing needs to be fixed too which would cost more.
I am not using this SUV anymore. Just was to sell it so hoping to get it fixed without putting in much. I know that a used pathy with 165K would fetch only around $4K or $5 k max.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kiran

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:11 pm

My concern with doing the head gaskets is that a lot of shops aren't able to get the proper finish on the heads and I hear of a lot of overheating problems after the heads have already been done. You have to have an almost mirror-like finish on the heads when the machine work is done with absolutely no imperfections. Ford modular engines are the same way; Ford recommends replacing the heads with new. Replacing head gaskets is no easy task on a VQ engine because of the timing chain set-up on the front of the engine. I would take a look at purchasing a used engine to replace yours, preferably something 2011 or newer, if possible.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”