looking at a 2002 that someone hooked up the battery wrong

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Deezil

looking at a 2002 that someone hooked up the battery wrong

Postby Deezil » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:05 pm

They said they hooked up the battery backwards when installing a new battery, it looks in nice shape, from what Ive read it can be a fuse or fusible links? He said there is no power to anything, no click when trying to start.

Thoughts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Cross-jumping the battery often does blow out a fusible link, most of which supply power to several fuses, which is why when one blows that multiple items are affected. So, that would be the first place I'd check, especially the fusible link for the ignition. In 2002, I'm pretty sure they were all located in relay box near the battery; they'll have a clear, plastic top through which you can look at the metal fuse link inside. Hopefully, the damage will go no farther than there. Sometimes, a control unit, like the ECM, can get fried before the fusible link gets a chance to "open" the circuit.

Deezil

Postby Deezil » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks, so worse case scenario, say it did an ecm, how much we talking?

Any other things to look out for? As I cant hear it run or drive it?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:00 am

That's a bad scenario, but I don't know if it would be "worst case." I guess worst case would be it fried the harness internally and took out all the electrical modules, but I doubt that it would be that bad. A new ECM from Nissan is over $1000 plus if it has an immobilizer system, the keys will need to be initialized by a Nissan or Infiniti dealer after towing it there, so figure a tow bill and around $100 for the dealer. I don't know if I'd be comfortable buying a vehicle that doesn't start and can't drive unless I was getting it for next to nothing. At the very least I would see if there's a blown fusible link and replace it to see if the vehicle starts, first. If the ECM is fried, you may be able to send it out for repair or get a used ECM if you can find the right part #; either case will be a couple of hundred dollars, at least, and you'll still need to get the keys initialized to start it.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”