Exhaust upgrade advice? Muffler shop making me think twice..

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

stowerspowers2

Exhaust upgrade advice? Muffler shop making me think twice..

Postby stowerspowers2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:49 pm

I have an 05 V6 and wanted to install a Flowmaster 50 series delta flow muffler. As I understood it, this muffler would give my pathy a good growl without being too loud and would not drone in the cab. The muffler shop I went to pretty much said the exact opposite, even said they recently installed one on a pathfinder and the owner came back to get it removed because it sounded so horrible. The shop told me to research magnaflow mufflers, suggesting I'd have more luck. I can't find any good info on the magnaflow unfortunately, not on youtube or even on the magnaflow website! Any recommendations on magnaflows? They have so many models and don't list them in order of increasing volume like flowmaster does. I just want something a little louder/meaner without disrupting music/conversation in the cab. Any help would be much appreciated!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Any performance muffler is going to be louder and have some "drone" to it, no matter which brand you buy. I went with the Magnaflow 12580 after learning about it through Frontier and Xterra sites. It's about the same length and width as the factory muffler, but not as tall. It's a 2-in and 1-out design, so it eliminates the factory "Y" and there will need to be some pipe fabrication to do that. I left the rear pipe and post muffler installed. I also went with Doug Thorley shorty heads and mid-pipes, but kept the stock, upstream converters.
Gas mileage and performance pretty much stayed the same; it wasn't until I did some intake mods and an ECM re-tune that I really felt a difference in performance. It takes about 500-1000 miles for the muffler to really break-in; I didn't like the sound at all at first, but it's okay, now. At idle she sounds good and at WOT, she sounds great! It's loud at WOT. At light to medium acceleration there is a noticeable "drone." It's not "raspy" like a "ricer," but it also doesn't sound as good as a V8 would. VQ engines with performance exhaust have their own sort of sound and you'll either like it or hate it. If you want quiet exhaust, I suggest you leave it as is. Here's a link to what I did to my 06:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=12841

stowerspowers2

Postby stowerspowers2 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:08 am

Yeah I've actually seen you post here before and was thinking about copying what you did, except using the 14580, which is the same as the 12580, just a different finish. Is there any chance you could upload a soundbyte of how yours sounds inside the cab? I just wanna make sure it's not too loud for my taste so I don't waste money getting it removed.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm still stuck in a time warp with my cheapo "flip-phone." I doubt that any sound sample it could record would sound anything like the actual noise. Sorry.. One of these days it'll break and I'll have to upgrade! ;)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”