Weird Humming Noise driving me crazy

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mikeyhill

Weird Humming Noise driving me crazy

Postby mikeyhill » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 am

Hey guys have this humming noise that has been bothering me for a while now. I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder 55k Se. I have this humming noise coming from driver side front of vehicle. I can really notice it around 20mph and will continue on the gas and off turning steering wheel doesn't make a difference. I have replaced the hub bearing and still the noise is there. I feel a slight vibration correlating with the rotating noise on the floor little south of the foot rest. At higher speeds you cant hear as much cause of the engine noise but you can still hear it. As you slow down you kind of hear it wind down so I think its definitely something that's rotating or turning. Any ideas on what to look for would be very helpful. Thanks so much in advance of for all the great information hear your time and help!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:38 pm

defective or unevenly worn tire?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 pm

I would rotate the tires and see if the noise changes or moves to another part of the vehicle.

mikeyhill

Postby mikeyhill » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks guys I will try that today. What would be next thing to look at if the tire isn't the problem. Thanks again

mikeyhill

Postby mikeyhill » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Tires weren't problem. Really feel the noise on driver floor as its humming away. Truck with under 60k should not be sounding like this. 2 mechanics have no clue. Any help would be appreciated thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 pm

If it's 4x4, check the U-joints on the front driveshaft.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am

smj999smj wrote:If it's 4x4, check the U-joints on the front driveshaft.
That's what I was thinking U joints?

the ocho

Postby the ocho » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am

so it's vehicle speed dependant - not engine RPM so everything from the transfer case to the wheel is suspect. My personal experience was the wheel bearing.

I ended up changing both bearings on the front and it finally went away. While I was under the car I also did both front (and rear) U joints. You can pull the front prop shaft and take a short test drive to see if that is the source of the sound.

good luck - those pesky noises can be frustrating!

swift1

Postby swift1 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:30 am

I’ve had the same issue with hum noise and high frequency vibration at 60mph and I’ve rotated tires, balanced, alignment, changed u joints, and it’s being narrowed down to either the front differential issues or front propellor shaft. I noticed that if I jack up the front end and lay in the floor and spin the front tires that I can hear a faint hum noise from front diff and tinny front splash / protector below front bumper.
My next plan of attack is is to remove front prop shaft, and drive it, this should narrow it down to either front diff gear wear or drive shafts, I’ll recheck all u joints by removing both drive shafts.
It seems like some of the Titans had front diff issues where a former Nissan mechanic told me they stocked front diffs like brake pads years ago. He mentioned that the front diffs are made at the same plant. I don’t know but I’ve looked at some issues online sbout this.

Did you ever resolved your issue?

swift1

Postby swift1 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:48 pm

I had similiar issues that you describe. Trust me, Save yourself alot of time and pull the front drive shaft out, then drive it at highway speed.
I did that and vibration hum noise gone.
My plan is to get my front shaft balanced and check u joints at driveline shop.
There sometimes is a faint resonance sound which appears to be inherent of this vehicle, possibly from front diff but the front driveshaft was my issue as it always spins and for some strange reason the front diff amplifies the hum sound from the out of balanced shaft turning. I find the PF drives easier, better gas mileage and no noise or vibration.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”