The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
R50 Front Locking Hubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbrock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: R50 Front Locking Hubs Reply with quote

Having an issue with my 2002 SE Pathfinder 4x4. Left front hub is making some clicking noises, feels like it is staying engaged. Any body have a part number for the hubs? Can't seem to find one at Rock Auto or outside of Nissan parts group at the dealership. They want over $300 for one side. Any suggestion?
Has anyone gone with manual hubs?

Thanks tried to search but didn't find anything.
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure it's not a split cv boot/worn out cv joint?

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
tbrock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disallow wrote:
You sure it's not a split cv boot/worn out cv joint?

Terry,

I wish it was that. It feels like it is not disengaging correctly.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe the hubs on the R50 do any locking or unlocking like the hubs on the earlier WD21's and the Hardbody trucks. The R50 has just a knuckle with races, tapered wheel bearings, seals, a flange plate, bearing lock nut and a snap ring. There is no spring, brake plate nor clutch. If you have a noise in a hub, I would suspect a bad wheel bearing. I would think the 4x4 system works similar to that of the R51 Pathfinder where the front driveshaft turns any time the front wheels turn and the drive engagement takes place inside the transfer case. That would make sense in that you can find a hub assembly on Rockauto; what you are likely looking at on the Nissan site is probably just the flange plate.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
tbrock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smj999smj wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe the hubs on the R50 do any locking or unlocking like the hubs on the earlier WD21's and the Hardbody trucks. The R50 has just a knuckle with races, tapered wheel bearings, seals, a flange plate, bearing lock nut and a snap ring. There is no spring, brake plate nor clutch. If you have a noise in a hub, I would suspect a bad wheel bearing. I would think the 4x4 system works similar to that of the R51 Pathfinder where the front driveshaft turns any time the front wheels turn and the drive engagement takes place inside the transfer case. That would make sense in that you can find a hub assembly on Rockauto; what you are likely looking at on the Nissan site is probably just the flange plate.

Thanks for the education on the hubs.
tbrock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so figured part of it out. The front drive shaft needed u joints so we replaced those and it solved part of the problem but there still is a little vibration. I also replaced the right side front axle CV because the boot was cracked.
fleurys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrations are a pain to diagnose, but here's what I do....

to minimize the time of diagnostic, remove both of your cvs and the front drive shaft.

road test. Right away you will know if the issue is with your wheel/tires. From there, re-install your front drive shaft.

road test.

if still no vibration, re-install your cv one at a time with a road test in between...

you'll find it this way.

S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: