Slip Abs VDC Off No 4wd after running over a stick

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

MtnTop

Slip Abs VDC Off No 4wd after running over a stick

Postby MtnTop » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi my 2005 pathy is having a problem. I ran over a stick on accident and when i did it got jammed in the rear diff\ speed sensor area. Now the VDC Off, Slip, And Abs lights are on and there is no traction control or ABS, also 4WD will not engage. I pulled the stick out and it was right in the speed sensor area. I dropped the spare tire and looked at the sensors but didn't know how to test them. any help is appreciated

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:46 pm

It likely damaged the sensor. In order to test the sensor, you need a special tool from Kent-Moore Tools especially made to test those type of ABS sensors. It's expensive and typically only found in Nissan and Infiniti dealerships.

MtnTop

Postby MtnTop » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Ok so it would just be best to order a replacement sensor, after i replace it is there any process i need to do to clear the light or will it be a simple drive it a few miles so it can relearn?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:59 am

Well, I would first do a visual inspection to see if I could verify any damage, as there is no way to be 100% sure unless you can confirm the problem...and the ABS wheel speed sensors usually aren't cheap. As far as replacement---and assuming it is the speed sensor---one the new sensor is installed and the vehicle driven, the warning lights should go off. However, the code will stay stored until it is erased with a scan tool capable of accessing the ABS system.

MtnTop

Postby MtnTop » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Ok, ill have to go look at it in a little while, is there anything i should look for? I will get pictures of it later.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Damage is hard to see unless the wires are actually cut or sensor is broken. The ABS sensor in the rear is actually on the differential not the wheel.

The fronts are in the wheel and part of the the hub bearing assembly.

You can read the ABS codes with a capable generic reader. I have an innova 3100j that does this. Check out my thread on changing the rear harness.

The code reader will at least help you to narrow down which wheel/sensor is the problem.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=85975

MtnTop

Postby MtnTop » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 pm

OK, upon reading disallows thread, I feel confident enough to replace the part, however my speedo don't jump? i'm going to order the code reader tomorrow, i have needed a new one for a while, thanks for the recommendation

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:50 pm

disallow wrote:Damage is hard to see unless the wires are actually cut or sensor is broken. The ABS sensor in the rear is actually on the differential not the wheel.

The fronts are in the wheel and part of the the hub bearing assembly.

You can read the ABS codes with a capable generic reader. I have an innova 3100j that does this. Check out my thread on changing the rear harness.

The code reader will at least help you to narrow down which wheel/sensor is the problem.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=85975
The ABS sensor was on the diff on older Pathfinders, but on the R51, the rear wheel speed sensors are at each wheel and share a common harness. So, to replace one, rear wheel speed sensor, you have to replace both of them as they are one part, as shown in link below:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 65&jsn=394

MtnTop

Postby MtnTop » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:39 pm

I replaced the sensors and the lights are still on, is there any process for resting the abs i need to do? although in the other thread it mentions that a engine management problem can cause the same problem, would my misfire be a plausible reason?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:21 pm

MtnTop wrote:I replaced the sensors and the lights are still on, is there any process for resting the abs i need to do? although in the other thread it mentions that a engine management problem can cause the same problem, would my misfire be a plausible reason?
In order to be sure you need to read the code. Or keep shotgunning parts at it...

MtnTop

Postby MtnTop » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 pm

ok i may be getting a better code reader soon enough.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Make sure its abs capable.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”