The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
2012 Pathfinder Brake Squeal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: 2012 Pathfinder Brake Squeal Reply with quote

Folks -

I just purchased a 2012 Pathfinder SV. I have a few questions regarding the brakes I have recently noticed. I get some very noticeable brake squeal when I first drive the car after it has been sitting a bit, typically overnight. It only lasts for the first few moments of braking, usually when backing out of my garage. I've also noticed what appears to be a fair amount of brake dust on the front wheels. I haven't had a chance to pull the wheels and take a good look since it's been very cold here in the Midwest of late, but wondering if the two items are related, perhaps the type of pads used?

Appreciate any input you good folks have as to what this is and how to fix based on your experiences.

Thanks.
smj999smj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake squeal has been an issue on a lot of vehicles ever since they stopped used asbestos in brake pads. Pad composition, excessive dust build-up and/or lack of lubrication on the brake pad hardware can all lead to brake squeal. There are also warning "squealers" mounted to the pads to warn of when the pads are getting low. So, if not done already, it would be a good idea just to make sure the brakes have good lining left. Using brake cleaner to wash down the brakes and remove the dust would be a good idea. If you want to take it a step further, you can remove the pads and coat the contact surfaces of the abutment clips and the metal shims on the back of the pads with a thin layer of copper-slip or brake-specific grease and re-assemble. While apart, the brake caliper slide pins should also be checked to make sure they slide freely.
Stone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smj999smj -

Thank you for the thorough response. Based on what I have read, it sounds like what is happening is surface rust being removed via the brake pads since it only occurs after they have say for a while (overnight, all day in the work parking lot). What would be recommendations for which rotors and pads are best to avoid this? I've never had a vehicle do this before, esp as loud as what this pathfinder is doing.

Thanks!
smj999smj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Akebono makes a lot of the OE pads for Nissans, it seems Hitachi makes the majority of pads for the R51. I had a set of genuine Nissan (Hitachi) pads put on my 06 Pathfinder when I first purchased it and always had squeak issues at low speeds. I later swapped them out for Akebono Pro ACT ceramic pads and they were quiet and similar in performance to the genuine Nissan pads. On my 08 Pathy, I tried a set of Wagner OEX1094 ceramic pads on the front and even though they look a little weird, they've been quiet and do seem to stop a little better than the Akebono's, plus they are about half of the price. I've used Raybestos Professional Series ceramics on the rear of my 06 Pathy and they have performed well so far. So, I would say the Wagner OEX and the Raybestos Professional Series ceramics have been the best, so far, that I've used. While I haven't used them personally, I have heard of people using Centric and Powerstop pads and have been happy with them.

As far as rotors, I've used genuine Nissan, Wagner and Raybestos Professional Series Advanced Technology. All of them at some point have developed a little pulsation under hard braking, but the Wagners took the longest to do so...probably around 90,000 miles...so, I really can't complain! Again, I've heard good things about Centric and Powerstop, but I've never used them. All of these pads and rotors can be purchased from Rockauto.com. The factory pads are ceramics, so I would stick with that regardless of what brand you go with.

On my 06, I've been planning on going with the larger front brakes from the V8 model and going with EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads and EBC Sport rotors on the front and rear in the not so far off future, possibly going with stainless steel braided brake hoses, as well. Hoping to get a little better brake performance. Stay tuned!
Stone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for putting the time in for the response, appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: