Exhaust manifold/catalytic converter issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

speedknot

Exhaust manifold/catalytic converter issue

Postby speedknot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:56 pm

The check engine light came on today on my 2012 Pathfinder(62,000miles). Hooked up the code reader and it read bad Oxygen Sensor. No biggie. A few hours later I go to start it and it sounded like a Sherman tank. It looks like its coming from the lower manifold area(passenger side). Cabin fumes are real bad. Took it to two muffler shops who subtlety expressed that they don't want to touch this with a 10' pole. They were pretty certain that the connection between the cat and the header separated. The part is a small fortune and very labor intensive. The cat/manifold looks like its one piece($$). Both advised that this should be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty 8yr/80,000mi and to take it to the dealer. Can anyone confirm or deny that the dealer would cover something like this. Any others out there with this issue?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:11 am

It could be covered if the converter has failed, but you'll have to take it to a dealer to get diagnosed to confirm it. They'll probably request an hour's diagnostic time which you will not have to pay if it is covered under warranty, but a charge you be responsible for if it should not be covered.

speedknot

Postby speedknot » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:12 am

Well.... I'm SOL with trying to claim this under the Federal Emissions Warranty. On the 2012 Path, the manifold and cat are two separate pieces, while the V8 models have a one piece manifold/cat assy. I was mistakenly looking at the part for the V8 models, which may have been covered. The issue I have is that the flange separated from the collector pipe on the manifold side. The manifold doesn't look like its one of the covered parts. I just hope and pray that my mechanic doesn't start breaking studs off in the block. I've made that mistake in the past.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”