New in Philly

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

wstark

New in Philly

Postby wstark » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi to all! looking to get a 05 or 06 Pathfinder and hoping to get your input on what to lookout for>
Thanks

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Welcome!

05 and 06 Pathys can be a great value they are powerful , well handling and well equipped while still being tru body on frame 4x4s.

However here is something to look out for:

When you inspect a early year R51 open up the coolant cap (ask the dealer not to start or warm up the car until you arrive) .
And if you see a strawberry milkshake looking froth under it that means a condition has happened where coolant and transmission fluid mix.
95% of times when this has happens the tranny is irrevocably lost.

If the coolant and transmission fluid look clean you are ok.
But you should either do the bypass ( easy and basically free to do if u do yourself) or have a new radiator put in (not a bad idea for any older vehicle anyway.

Either one of these 2 solutions address the problem 100% though replacing the rad is considered Best Practices.

wstark

Postby wstark » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:50 am

palmerwmd thanks for the response. How are the new rads different so it wont happen in the future? Also I'm really more interested in a manual trans so that should not be an issue?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:36 pm

wstark wrote:palmerwmd thanks for the response. How are the new rads different so it wont happen in the future? Also I'm really more interested in a manual trans so that should not be an issue?
The new nissan radiators and the aftermarket radiators that are available have better gaskets for the heat exchange w/ the tranny than the original OEM.

I am unsure if the R51 pathfinder was ever offered with a manual.
If you are thinking of a manual transmission Nissan SUV from that timeframe I believe the Nissan XTerra may have been the only one..

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”