Engine turned off at 25 mph.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Cracker

Engine turned off at 25 mph.

Postby Cracker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:48 pm

I have a 2005 LE 4x4 with 194,000 miles. Tranny/radiator bypass was done at around 110,000 miles. I've had zero issues for 5 years--60,000 miles at least. No major repairs ever. So today, I'm on my normal commute and as I slow down to make a right turn the engine cuts off at about 25 mph. I lose power steering, brakes, everything. I could not make the turn, passed the turn, and pulled off the road. I turned the engine off, waited 5 seconds, and turned it on. It started up. Service Engine, SLIP and VCD were lit up. I went on my way and the vehicle drove normally for the next 15 minutes as I went to work. There were some stops and accelerations and nothing seemed amiss, except that Service Engine, SLIP and VCD were lit up. I don't have the ability to look at the code. Any ideas? Could this be U1000 Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A" Code?

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Where do you live? In the US? If so, look for the nearest Autozone or Advance Auto and have them check the code for you. It's free. If you can't drive there, have a friend take you and you can always rent the code reader by leaving a deposit for the price of the reader. You get your full amount back when you return it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:01 pm

When there is an engine management problem detected, the ECM will disable traction control, which causes those warning lights to illuminate. You need to get the trouble codes and I'm not sure where the mention of the U1000 CAN communication error comes from unless you have had this code trigger on previous occasions, maybe? A lot of times we see or hear of stalling issues caused by faulty cam position sensors, which usually, but not always, trigger a trouble code for it. To say that is your problem is jumping the gun for now. I would also go to Nissan's site and use their recall checker to see if there are any open recalls, specifically the ECM relay recall, that are still "open" for your vehicle. It also would be smart to check your battery cable connections to make sure they are clean and tight, as these have been a source of numerous problems on these vehicles.

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks to both of the two that replied. So first, I did go to Autozone as underword1001 wisely suggested and pulled the error code. It's P0340: Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit. Most likely solution: Replace camshaft position sensor (CMP). The Autozone guy suggested I check the engine oil. Now I know that I have a small leak in seal. I've had that for 3 years so when I get my oil changed instead of having the standard 5 quarts of synthetic I might have 4.8 or so. I've been OK with this. So when I checked the oil there was nothing on the dipstick. Long story short, I put in two quarts of oil at Autozone. TWO! He said that might "fix" the issue. However, today the engine turned off on me again while driving. It seems to happen when the engine is at a low RPM--like when I'm braking. So we're back to replacing the camshaft sensors--which Smj999smj correctly assumed was a viable reason for this problem. Is this something that I need a Nissan dealership to do or can any ASE mechanic handle this?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:50 pm

P0340 is bank 1, which is the passenger side, unfortunately (the driver side is a lot easier because the intake plenum isn't in the way. The sensor is installed on the back of the cylinder wall with a single, 10MM head bolt. Remove the upper engine cover. Remove the bolt, pull the sensor out and lift up using the harness. Unplug the old sensor and plug in the new sensor; lube the "O" ring with Vaseline or clean motor oil. Lower the sensor down using the harness and install into the back of the head. Install the bolt. It sounds relatively simple, it's just in a tight area. Some will pull the upper plenum, but it can be done with leaving it on. As far as the sensor, I usually recommend using a genuine Nissan part or Hitachi, but the last one I did was a Standard Motor Parts/Intermotor from Advance Auto Parts and it's been doing well for the last 6 months. It was made in Japan and had a 3-year warranty and also about half the price of the Nissan part after the online discount.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”