Trans Slipping After ECU Replacement

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Corton93

Trans Slipping After ECU Replacement

Postby Corton93 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Hey guy's and gal's. New poster here. Tried posting over at NICOclub with no luck.

Gonna try and keep this short, My R50 pathfinder died (still had electrical just no drive) while doing 75MPH down the interstate. Kept rolling, put in neutral, turned key back off then back on, fired right up, back in drive and kept driving. I repeated this whole process about 15 more times before I got to my house. After i noticed electrical burn smell, I fount that a wire had gotten burnt up in the ECU and melted everything.

Had the ECU replaced with a used one by an independent shop.

Ever since the ECU was replaced the trans is slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear. It had NEVER slipped before up until the ECU was replaced. It jerks and jerks, revs up to around 3-3.5K RPM (without pulling), and finally catches and shifts smoothly.

There in not a single dash light on, and it's not pulling a single code on the scanner. Is there a chance that its the programming in the new (used) ECU that could be causing it to slip? And if so would I need to take it to the dealership to have it re-flashed? Average re-flash cost?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ya'll.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 pm

What year R50?

Corton93

Postby Corton93 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:53 pm

smj999smj wrote:What year R50?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Any time you replace a programmable ECM in a Nissan, they recommend you check to make sure it has the latest software program. It's possible that it might even have the incorrect program for you particular Pathfinder.
While it wouldn't be related to the ECM replacement, there were some issues with "shift flares" during the 1-2 or the 2-3 shifts that resulted in a TSB. The fix was replacement of the shift solenoid pack and the TCM. If you're interested, refer Nissan bulletin # NTB01-055a. You can download it from here:

https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_l ... &keyid=207

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”