VDC and Slip light came on

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

bubba59

VDC and Slip light came on

Postby bubba59 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Googled this and found lots of different reasons why this may happen.
Drove my daughter to school the other day after a good size snowfall I was in 4wd...continued on to work and both the VDC and Slip light came on when I switched out of 4wd for the drive home.

I should mention that the 4wd doesn't switch back to 2wd unless I either reverse or turn a hard right hand turn.
I should also mention that the emergency brake is essentially non functioning, I can press it in but it really doesn't engage...it's been like that since purchase.

Anyway, when I started up the car today the VDC and Slip were off but about 2 seconds after you press the brake pedal they come back on and won't go off...

Drove into work...went to lunch...same thing...

Any idea what could have caused this? I plan to check the brake fluid when I get home but not sure why it would happen.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Well, the first thing to do would be to check the brake fluid before getting too worried. The brake system, ABS, VDC and traction control system are all tied in together. Another scenario is when the ECM sees an engine management system problem, it will disable the traction control system and cause those same warning lights to illuminate. Since you don't have a CEL issue, it is likely more brake related. If the brake fluid is not the issue, you'll need to have the trouble codes read. These will be "C" codes, so a typical OBD II code reader will not read them. It will need to be a capable scan or diagnostic tool. Once you have the codes, we can go further.

The emergency brake system is a "hat-style" system that is similar to what's found in many Corvettes. The rear hydraulic brakes are disc type. The emergency brake is a cable-controlled, drum-type brake setup that uses the inside of the brake rotor hub as the "drum." These emergency brake shoes are adjustable similar in the way regular drum brakes are, using a star wheel type adjuster. If they haven't been checked in a while, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull off the rear brake rotor and inspect the linings of the emergency brake shoes and replace/adjust as needed. There is also the possibility of a cable issue, but you need to start with the basics, first.

bubba59

Postby bubba59 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Thanks!
I was planning on giving the e-brake a look when the weather turns a bit nicer here. I'll give the brake fluid a check and if that isn't the culprit I might have a a shop check it with a scan tool...

Would most shops be able to do this or would it need proprietary Nissan Consult II type scanning?
Thx again!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 am

Most shops that have a diagnostic tool that can read ABS codes should be able to handle it.

bubba59

Postby bubba59 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:36 am

I guess it's a non-issue now...lol

I went out to the truck and just ever so slightly tapped the brake so I could drop it into gear and the lights never came on again...

This vehicle definitely has some quirks...oh, and the tire pressure warning light went off too!
weird

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:17 pm

If one of the TPMS sensors has a weak battery, that'll happen. They often start failing during cold temperatures but then start working as the vehicle is driven and the air temperature inside the tires starts warming up.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”