Replaced rear coil springs and Airlift 1000 today

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Replaced rear coil springs and Airlift 1000 today

Postby disallow » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Hey everyone,

So we are planning a big Florida road trip, leaving on Wednesday, and I've been meaning to get my Airlift 1000 bags replaced, as they were now toast. I've had the kit for a few months already, but time and crappy weather got in the way, and here we are!

So once I got underneath the truck, I looked at the suspect bag, and immediately realized that the coil on that side was also broken. Damn.

It being Sunday, options were limited, and I got in touch with Partsource but they didn't have it. I ended up going with NAPA, and they had their store brand on the shelf, but they are made by Federal Mogul, and in the USA, so I went for it. $190 Canadian for the pair. A little steep, but time is tight, and unless you have time on your side, its hard to save money on parts.

Install was not that bad at all. Had to remove the bottom bolt under the lower arm (not the control arm) and it came out with little effort. That allowed the arm to drop, which pretty much allowed the old spring to fall out of the truck. Installation was just as simple, though I did take the time to install the airbag in the spring before putting it in. A little help from my jack (you need about 12" of lift starting at about 5") and it lined right up and slid the bolt back in and tightened it down.

Easy peasy. Hooked up the air lines for my Airlift, and we are in business.

Like most repairs, my experience is you don't really notice much from a ride perspective. Same was true for this repair, no magical change in the ride, though I am sure it will be noticeable during our road trip.

Anyways, that was my fun on this Sunday evening. Its our anniversary too, so I got in a little trouble for that, but what are ya gonna do? lol.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 am

have a great safe trip! :)

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”