Roof Rack Compatibility (99 Nissan Pathfinder)

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

gagecsmith93

Roof Rack Compatibility (99 Nissan Pathfinder)

Postby gagecsmith93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:24 pm

* Need Some Advice *

I have a 99 Nissan Pathfinder (Red one in picture). I am trying to figure out if my specific model supports the option for a roof rack. Such as from another 99. I think its a different type (Silver one in pictures). I have seen other 99's at junk yards with a roof rack installed, rear tire gate, runners, and spoiler. Mine has none of those extras but mine has some rack mounts points (so it seems) but it doesn't look to match the mounting hardware of the others racks I have seen (from other 99s). However, the mounts look to be in the same spot on both vehicles.

My question is: Can I add a roof rack from another 99? or would I need to do some serious customization, such as drilling holes and removing the roof?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

__ My specifications __
Year: 1999
Make: Nissan
Model: Pathfinder
Style/Body: SPORT UTILITY 4-DR
Engine: 3.3L V6 OHV 12V
Trim: XE 2WD

__ Silver pathfinder VIN __
jn8ar05s9xw318599

My pictures can be seen on this Facebook Post :)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Nissan used several roof racks during the R50 model run, sometimes determined by not only the model year, but also the trim level (XE, SE, LE). The XE models in '99 that did not come with a roof rack had the option of a dealer installed rack, available as Nissan P/N 999R1-XJ000 Roof Rack Kit, which has been discontinued. The kit cam with templates for where to drill the holes. The kit came with rivet nuts and an installation tool to install them into the holes. The rivet nuts, once installed, would be where the mounting bolts for the roof rack rails would install. I believe the ones that came from the factory with the roof rack had a more secure fitting in the roof. I suppose you could swap one over from another Pathfinder if you could figure out and obtain the proper size rivet nuts and carefully map out the points to install them. TIP: when drilling the holes, slide a piece of rubber vacuum hose on the drill bit to use as a drill stop so that you don't drill through the headliner!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”