Let’s talk about water leaks.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Pathfindork

Let’s talk about water leaks.

Postby Pathfindork » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 am

So it rained hard yesterday and I noticed dampness on the carpet near the lift gate. I’m going to run it through a car wash to check, but are there places prone to leaking back there.

———
2002 Pathfinder SE

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:06 pm

Found the leak. I ran it through a carwash and under pressure water is getting in where the 3rd brake light housing is. Would the first step be replacing the rubber gasket for the rear window?

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B65EEB5

Micallen

Postby Micallen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm getting water in the driver's side floorboard. I haven't owned it long enough to figure out where it's coming from yet ðŸ˜

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm

I think he covers your issue here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL3e1C2L3RU

Micallen

Postby Micallen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Pathfindork wrote:I think he covers your issue here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL3e1C2L3RU
No, I have no sunroof. My search continues.

Micallen

Postby Micallen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:17 am

After about 1.5" of rain last night, I had a good bit of water in driver's floorboard. I actually bought a gray towel I have folded over twice using as my floor mat for now. :roll:

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:38 am

I would try to figure out where it is coming in. Run it through the car wash to see if that pressure is enough to get water in. Then seal the driver’s door with wide tape to make sure water is getting in through the door; it’s possible the leak is coming from elsewhere and just dripping down. Assuming the door’s rubber seals are letting water in, maybe put tape over the sealing material (my next step BTW) to see if the added thickness is enough to block the water. If that works then it is probably time to replace it because maybe it no longer creates a waterproof seal.

Probably wise to throw a tarp over yours when it is going to rain until you can plug the leak.

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 pm

I figured out my leak. When closing the glass the wire which feeds the brake light was caught between the glass and weatherstripping. Once I made sure it was clear the leak is gone. Noob mistake I’m sure.

Micallen

Postby Micallen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 am

Pathfindork wrote:I figured out my leak. When closing the glass the wire which feeds the brake light was caught between the glass and weatherstripping. Once I made sure it was clear the leak is gone. Noob mistake I’m sure.
I'm starting to suspect mine is coming in via the cowl area. When I get time (not sure when that will be-lots going on) I will remove the cowl panel, do some major cleaning, and pull the fresh air intake box if possible to see what's up. Also check cowl drains if it has them (some cars do).

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 am

Which cowl? Time to start taping things and going through the car wash?

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Micallen wrote:I'm starting to suspect mine is coming in via the cowl area. When I get time (not sure when that will be-lots going on) I will remove the cowl panel, do some major cleaning, and pull the fresh air intake box if possible to see what's up. Also check cowl drains if it has them (some cars do).
I posted in the FB RX50/QX4 group and they suggested window seals, door seals, and windshield seal.

Micallen

Postby Micallen » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Pathfindork wrote:
Micallen wrote:I'm starting to suspect mine is coming in via the cowl area. When I get time (not sure when that will be-lots going on) I will remove the cowl panel, do some major cleaning, and pull the fresh air intake box if possible to see what's up. Also check cowl drains if it has them (some cars do).
I posted in the FB RX50/QX4 group and they suggested window seals, door seals, and windshield seal.
Yep, I've done a lot of reading on it, and unfortunately, there are a lot of possibilities. :(

I just have to put the time in.

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Other suggestions:

My windshield seal was loose , black plastic part, it would pool up in drivers side. I sealed it back down with that black adhesive 3m and black electrical tape never came back.

——-

There's a drain in wiper motor void area on the side may be clogged and on heavy rain fills up and comes through an opening

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Another suggestion:

"Wheel well. Look for a rusted hole. Just found on on mine."
Last edited by Pathfindork on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Micallen

Postby Micallen » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Pathfindork wrote:Other suggestions:

My windshield seal was loose , black plastic part, it would pool up in drivers side. I sealed it back down with that black adhesive 3m and black electrical tape never came back.

——-

There's a drain in wiper motor void area on the side may be clogged and on heavy rain fills up and comes through an opening
Hoping to check into it tomorrow.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”