Wobble front suspension

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Wobble front suspension

Postby jetstream87 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:05 am

Yesterday I was driving when I hit a small bump (where two concrete meet) and my front part of the car began to wobble and making a knocking sound, I do have a loose rack and pinion, can this be causing it? I do have the part + tie end rods, also the gaskets to sustain the rack and pinion. Please help.

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 am

Have it checked to see if anything else is worn out, but you should prioritize those fixes.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Pathfindork wrote:Have it checked to see if anything else is worn out, but you should prioritize those fixes.
I am taking it this Friday or Saturday the latest to get them replaced. Hopefully that will fix this problem........ so far I only have 1 quart of Royal Purple ATF oil will that be enough to top off the power steering pump?

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:49 pm

jetstream87 wrote:...so far I only have 1 quart of Royal Purple ATF oil will that be enough to top off the power steering pump?
No idea, depends on how low you are.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Pathfindork wrote:
jetstream87 wrote:...so far I only have 1 quart of Royal Purple ATF oil will that be enough to top off the power steering pump?
No idea, depends on how low you are.
I am switching the whole part, I do have it to the level currently.

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Let us know how everything goes.

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:04 pm

You might have some worn ball joints too.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 am

Pathfindork wrote:Let us know how everything goes.

I will keep you updated, taking the car in on Friday morning and picking it up on Saturday morning the latest. I called the mechanic and he was willing to accommodate me for those days. I am crossing fingers it is just those parts and nothing else.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Pathfindork wrote:Let us know how everything goes.
Ok so got the part changed: rack and pinion + tie rods+ bushings......I thought I was clear free until I drove it for 7 miles and got off the exit and bam....the car began to make a whirling sound and steering stiff and gargaling noise. Checked the oil level and all fine, turns out it was leaking from the right boot. The part is manufactured and great condition, I noticed that it made a sizzling hiss sound and bam found the leak. Taking it bsck next weekend to get it fixed.[/img]

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:29 pm

Here are some photos after running it 7 miles, anyone got some input?

Image[/img]

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:00 pm

Looks like you got a bad, new, rack and pinion assembly!

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 am

smj999smj wrote:Looks like you got a bad, new, rack and pinion assembly!
The sad part is that my pump started to make a whirling sound which I was not happy to hear. I got this from Rockauto so I am hoping they can send me a replacement before turning in the bad unit. I got the pump on the way just need to order to hose line. Ugh! I was so happy that my part got replaced but wrong! Just to clear things up I can use Royal Purple ATF oil right, if not what is the best one to go with? 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 am

Well, the pump will make a whirling noise if there is a leak that causes air in the system, so you may want to hold off on the pump until you replace the rack & pinion and bleed all of the air out of the system, unless you are 100% sure the pump is bad. They are usually pretty rugged and don't typically fail outside of the occasional front seal or gasket leak. As far as the power steering fluid, red transmission fluid is all you need, such as Dexron III/Mercon ATF, Nissan Type "D" ATF or Nissan power steering fluid, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, for a few examples. I believe Royal Purple will work, as well, but don't use amber or clear power steering fluid sold in most auto parts stores, which is mostly used by the US domestics. Make sure you suspend the wheels and turn the steering wheel lock to lock about a dozen times without the engine running after you install the new R&P to prime the system and help push out the air before you start the engine.
Rockauto is very good when it comes to exchanging parts. You just go to your account page and click on your order number and click on "return" by your part listing and follow the prompts. They'll even provide you a shipping label to put on the part for return. They'll charge you for the replacement part and send it to you and then will credit you when the receive the defective part.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:27 am

smj999smj wrote:Well, the pump will make a whirling noise if there is a leak that causes air in the system, so you may want to hold off on the pump until you replace the rack & pinion and bleed all of the air out of the system, unless you are 100% sure the pump is bad. They are usually pretty rugged and don't typically fail outside of the occasional front seal or gasket leak. As far as the power steering fluid, red transmission fluid is all you need, such as Dexron III/Mercon ATF, Nissan Type "D" ATF or Nissan power steering fluid, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, for a few examples. I believe Royal Purple will work, as well, but don't use amber or clear power steering fluid sold in most auto parts stores, which is mostly used by the US domestics. Make sure you suspend the wheels and turn the steering wheel lock to lock about a dozen times without the engine running after you install the new R&P to prime the system and help push out the air before you start the engine.
Rockauto is very good when it comes to exchanging parts. You just go to your account page and click on your order number and click on "return" by your part listing and follow the prompts. They'll even provide you a shipping label to put on the part for return. They'll charge you for the replacement part and send it to you and then will credit you when the receive the defective part.

Man I did notice that it was leaking clear fluid from the right side as seen on the picture. I took then 1 quart of the Royal Purple MAX ATF fluid, if I remember the fluid looks pinkish reddish. Man too bad I ordered a re manufactured pump, I guess I will return that one and just order a pressure hose. I did contact them and they said that I have place a new order and return the faulty one. I guess I am stuck without a car for another week.

Well yeah it make the whirling/gargling sound, I was able to get it to my friends house then eventually back to my house. Once I drove it to my house I realize the steering was hard as if the car was off, it would respond slowly. So I guess I will return the pump I ordered.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:51 pm

smj999smj wrote:Well, the pump will make a whirling noise if there is a leak that causes air in the system, so you may want to hold off on the pump until you replace the rack & pinion and bleed all of the air out of the system, unless you are 100% sure the pump is bad. They are usually pretty rugged and don't typically fail outside of the occasional front seal or gasket leak. As far as the power steering fluid, red transmission fluid is all you need, such as Dexron III/Mercon ATF, Nissan Type "D" ATF or Nissan power steering fluid, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, for a few examples. I believe Royal Purple will work, as well, but don't use amber or clear power steering fluid sold in most auto parts stores, which is mostly used by the US domestics. Make sure you suspend the wheels and turn the steering wheel lock to lock about a dozen times without the engine running after you install the new R&P to prime the system and help push out the air before you start the engine.

I found full specs of the Royal purple MAX ATF, will it be a go or no go? How much will I need after a complete drain?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/ma ... tf/4708217

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”