The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Stumped: Front suspension new but still have bump steer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Suspension and Steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleeper187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Stumped: Front suspension new but still have bump steer Reply with quote

Hey guys. 2005 Pathfinder SE 2x4 with 170k miles. I have replaced almost everything I can think of in the front end but am still getting bump steer, shimmies, and oscillation in the steering wheel. Here's a list of what's been replaced so far regarding suspension:

-Upper/Lower control arms (with ball joints and bushings)
-Tie rod ends
-Sway bar bushings
-Struts (Bilstein HD) and reused stock coils/mounts
-Tires (Balanced)
-Alignment (after every part replaced)
-U-joint

I'm stumped. The steering feels tight and the car drives straight on a smooth road. There is no vibration/oscillation on a smooth road whatsoever. However, the steering wheel shimmies violently over bumps and even turns by itself if I'm going 1mph over a speed bump or pulling into a driveway. When the freeway is slightly bumpy, the steering wheel oscillates slightly. It seems to do this under compression since going up a speed bump causes the steering wheel to turn and returns to straight once i'm passed the speed bump. I don't hear any knocks or noises at a low/moderate speed at all. Power steering fluid has been drained and replaced and there are no leaks from the boots. The alignment shop has a good reputation but have posted the numbers from a month ago just in case.

This has been going on for almost 3 years now and for the life of me cannot figure it out. I recall the steering problems happening overnight, as one day i drove the car and realized the steering wheel was shaking over bumps. After each part replaced, the car drove better but the problem has not been eliminated. Any help will be appreciated.

alignment data:

[/img]
kevinthefro

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play in the rack and pinion?
Wheel bearings?
goinkster

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Stumped: Front suspension new but still have bump steer Reply with quote

I think your right side TOE front and rear (especially rear) still need to come in more.

I know your readout shows them as in spec but....

I had the same issues as you though I have a 2008 LE 4X4 V8. I had my alignment done at a place that had really good reviews online. They have a Hunter Alignment machine.

My alignment TOE numbers after are - RF +0.07 RR +0.05. Left side numbers are the same as right side. Your Camber and Caster numbers look close to mine.

After the alignment our car handled the bumps much better. The issue of the steering wheel flying out of my hands when hitting certain types of bumps disappeared. However... the bump steer still exists although much less severe. Certain bumps are still felt in the steering wheel. Again not even close to as severe as it was before the alignment. Really I am almost getting used to it. Most bumps are just light blips in the wheel now if even felt at all. For the most part it rides really nice now. It is just some types of bumps or divots that I feel in the steering wheel. I no longer grab the wheel with both hands when approaching a small bump or uneven piece of road. The big bumps I still do.

I would recommend not going over 35 lbs on tire pressure if you are doing that.

I am convinced the bump steer is just part of the factory steering geometry. I don’t like it a bit but I don’t think there is any way to get rid of it all together.

I wish you the best of luck and suggest you ask your alignment shop to tweak it a little more.
bubba59

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI...I too have terrible bump steer on my 2005 pathfinder. I also have the super soft rear springs and was getting complaints from pretty much everyone that sat in the back that the truck was SOOOOO bumpy. I don't tow but carry quite a bit of gear and people on occasion.

Anyway, I figured what the heck I'll try these Air Lift bags that everyone seems to use. I installed them Friday, inflated to 35 PSI as recommended in the instructions, took it for a spin and WOW! I dropped the pressure the next day to 18 PSI and let my wife take it up to the mountains.

All I can say is if my wife noticed a difference then it must work. She said the truck drove GREAT! I plan to get a good alignment as well just to see how it all shakes out but it was probably the most noticeable improvement I've ever made on a vehicle for 80 bux!
ShipFixer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba59 wrote:
Just an FYI...I too have terrible bump steer on my 2005 pathfinder. I also have the super soft rear springs and was getting complaints from pretty much everyone that sat in the back that the truck was SOOOOO bumpy. I don't tow but carry quite a bit of gear and people on occasion.

Anyway, I figured what the heck I'll try these Air Lift bags that everyone seems to use. I installed them Friday, inflated to 35 PSI as recommended in the instructions, took it for a spin and WOW! I dropped the pressure the next day to 18 PSI and let my wife take it up to the mountains.

All I can say is if my wife noticed a difference then it must work. She said the truck drove GREAT! I plan to get a good alignment as well just to see how it all shakes out but it was probably the most noticeable improvement I've ever made on a vehicle for 80 bux!

^ This. Air Lift bags cured the crazy "rear end bump steer" on my 2005. Even 0 psi capped keeps the stock springs from bottoming, I usually ran 10-12 psi.

But the Moog springs I just put in last week are the better option. They feel like 12 psi plus stock springs, but more linear through the travel (air springs ramp up after all).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Suspension and Steering All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: