Speedometer going crazy

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Rustybux

Speedometer going crazy

Postby Rustybux » Tue May 01, 2018 10:08 am

94 Pathfinder...My speedometer is going crazy. It bounces all around and then stays at 100 mph. When I start slowing down...the needle bounces around. sometimes I stop at the stop light and the speedo is still showing that I'm moving and the odometer is turning over the tenths. I ran a code, said "Speed Sensor" I replace it and it's still doing the same thing. WHAT IS HAPPENING?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Is it electronic or cable-driven? If it's electronic, you likely have a bad speedo head. If it's cable driven, I would first suspect a bad cable.

Rustybux

Postby Rustybux » Tue May 01, 2018 1:22 pm

smj999smj wrote:Is it electronic or cable-driven? If it's electronic, you likely have a bad speedo head. If it's cable driven, I would first suspect a bad cable.
It's electronic. How can the speedo move is the speed sensor isn't sending any signal to the speedo head? Guess I'll try to find another head for it and see if that helps. After replacing the speed sensor in the trans...i cleared the codes and after a week, the light came on the dash again...ran the code and it came up with speed sensor again.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”