'95, dead speedo

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

zahgurim

'95, dead speedo

Postby zahgurim » Sun May 13, 2018 9:22 am

Hallo NissanPath members!

I just recently picked up a '95 XE. My first Pathfinder. Seems to be a great little truck. Auto tranny. I'll probably pick up a standard for myself later, and gift this one to my wifey for winter use.
Yesterday while driving, the speedo died on me. I crawled underneath to look for a speedo cable, and saw nothing but electrical wires coming off the tranny. Do these things have electrical senders with a wire running to the speedo, or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun May 13, 2018 12:38 pm

It'll have a vehicle speed sensor held in with a single, 10MM head bolt. Most of the time the problem usually ends up being either a bad speed sensor pinion gear (the teeth will wear down in the middle of the gear) or a bad speedo head in the cluster. They speed sensor is an AC volt generator; you can jack up the vehicle to suspend the wheels and test the voltage output. Expect to see about 1 volt for every 10 MPH.

zahgurim

Postby zahgurim » Tue May 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for the info!

I've researched a bit, saw it could be 1 of 2 issues, speed sensor, or the head unit at the speedometer.
Replaced the speedometer, still not working, so it seems to be the sensor on the tranny.

I have access to an older truck for a donor part.
I've got the wire harness unclipped, and a 10mm bolt/washer out. The sensor doesn't seem to want to come out. Any trick to removing the sensor?

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”