Coolant issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mitchsti

Coolant issue

Postby mitchsti » Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 pm

So I’ve noticed that coolant is flowing from the radiator to the overflow and while stone cold I pumped some of the coolant from the overflow only to have the radiator drop fluid level. My 2008 pathy has an almost new t stat but I’m thinking it’s stuck open. Any other issues that it could be. New radiator and hoses, new timing chain setup and water pump and t stat is about 2 months old.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 am

That's typical for this type of coolant system. It's similar to what European cars have been using for years prior to Nissan employing it in 2005 on the trucks. Are you having any overheating issues or issues with the coolant not getting hot enough?

mitchsti

Postby mitchsti » Sat May 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Seems to be getting hot enough, but after letting it sit overnight the overflow will still be full. Now if I open the radiator and the overflow caps and start the car it will pull from the overflow back into the radiator at a high rate

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun May 27, 2018 1:06 pm

You don't run the engine with both caps off. First, make sure you have the caps in the right places; the vented cap (the one with the spring on it) goes on the reservoir and the one without the spring on the bottom goes on the radiator. Top off the radiator and install the cap. Fill the reservoir up to the Max line and install the cap. Jack up the front end as much as safely possible; you could also use ramps or park on a steep hill with the nose going uphill. Start the engine and put both heaters on the maximum heat setting. Run the engine at 2500-3000 RPM for 10 minutes, longer if needed until good heat is coming out of the vents. This will purge the air out of the system. Top off the reservoir tank to the MAX line as necessary; keep in mind that the reservoir is pressurized in this system, so be careful when removing the cap! Drive vehicle and see how it goes and recheck the coolant in the reservoir the next day. If the coolant gauge always stays on the "cold" side of the gauge, it's likely you have a stuck open thermostat; normally, it'll set right in the middle of the gauge, maybe a hair below or hair above. If the gauge needle sits center and you still have poor heat, you may have an air pocket still in the system. If it overheats, it could be a bad thermostat, bad clutch fan, restricted flow through the AC condenser/radiator cores...possibly something even more serious like a bad head gasket...the usual suspects.

mitchsti

Postby mitchsti » Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Done all that, I’m thinking maybe just all the new parts and I’ve never really paid that close attention. Just trying to make sure the mechanics did what they were supposed to do and I’ve never seen my fluid levels move around so much. Heat is great and temp gauge is sitting just below half and I have heat driving and at a sitting idle. Thanks for the fast response just being over cautious I guess.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Sounds like everything is fine.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”