P0505 Bad idle air control

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Hellraiser456

P0505 Bad idle air control

Postby Hellraiser456 » Mon May 28, 2018 11:45 am

Hey

I figured i would post about this P0505 code. I have this code in my 02 pathy and turns out it is the worst case problem.

IC17 is completely destroyed in the ECU. Dealership in Canada wants an insane amount of money for a new ECU and i found some threads about simply replacing the IC. I figure junkyard shopping would be pointless, since this seems to be fairly common, and it means reprograming.

I am going to attempt the repair myself. The good news is the vehicle still runs and drives. It idles a little low, and doesn't really like to start, but once you get it going its fine.

I have ordered up some µPA1560 IC's. I am into electronics and its looks like a really straight forward swap as its is through hole and the vehicle still runs without any other codes.

I think i am going to add a fuse to the harness to maybe stop this from happening again. I have ordered the Hitachi IACV from amazon. My chips should be here withing a couple of weeks. I ordered extras just in case. I also ordered some of the Maxima ones since I though they were the same (they are not) and its too late to cancel my order!

I was going to do a quick write up and maybe a video of the repair as you can save A LOT of money by doing it yourself. Basic solder skills and a decent soldering iron and some wick would be all you need.

Anyways this is my first post, so i hope someone finds this useful..or maybe its been done already? You can tell me to shut up if someone has done this, but i couldn't find a heck of a lot. Lots of stuff in the Maxima forums which ultimately led me to this issue.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Most will send the ECM for repair to places such as Circuit Board Medics. However, if you found the chip and can do the work yourself, that's more money in your pocket!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”