radiator extended warranty - how to get it?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

paradigm

radiator extended warranty - how to get it?

Postby paradigm » Thu May 31, 2018 11:43 am

My understanding is 05-10 pathfinders are eligible for a warranty replacement up to 10 years / 100k miles on the radiator due to the faulty design.

Do I need to wait for it to fail before I have it warranty replaced, or can I just request it? It would be silly for Nissan to expect it to fail first before replacing it, as that would cause transmission failure.

Should I just go to my local dealership and request that they replace it under warranty ? Is there a TSB to reference?

I have a 2010 Pathfinder with around 80k miles / 130k KM on it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Nissan will not replace a part under the extended warranty for a radiator that has not failed yet. Furthermore, after 80,000 miles, the warranty is not 100% coverage, but, rather, has price caps to cover the radiator and subsequent damage (typically the automatic transmission). After 80,000 miles, the price cap is $2500 until 90,000 miles, when the cap raises to $3500 until the 100,000 mile mark. In other words, if you radiator only failed at 81,000 miles, you would be on the hook for the whole cost of the repair. However, at 81,000 miles, your radiator failed and damaged the transmission and the cost to fix it was, for example, $5000...then you would only have to pay the $2500 for the repair. Do yourself a favor and just replace the radiator and save yourself a whole lot of headache! Aftermarket radiators can be had for under $100 and haven't had the cooler failure issue.

paradigm

Postby paradigm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 pm

smj999smj wrote:Nissan will not replace a part under the extended warranty for a radiator that has not failed yet. Furthermore, after 80,000 miles, the warranty is not 100% coverage, but, rather, has price caps to cover the radiator and subsequent damage (typically the automatic transmission). After 80,000 miles, the price cap is $2500 until 90,000 miles, when the cap raises to $3500 until the 100,000 mile mark. In other words, if you radiator only failed at 81,000 miles, you would be on the hook for the whole cost of the repair. However, at 81,000 miles, your radiator failed and damaged the transmission and the cost to fix it was, for example, $5000...then you would only have to pay the $2500 for the repair. Do yourself a favor and just replace the radiator and save yourself a whole lot of headache! Aftermarket radiators can be had for under $100 and haven't had the cooler failure issue.

Is there a particular radiator you would suggest that won't break the bank? Also how difficult is a radiator replacement?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 pm

paradigm wrote:
smj999smj wrote:Nissan will not replace a part under the extended warranty for a radiator that has not failed yet. Furthermore, after 80,000 miles, the warranty is not 100% coverage, but, rather, has price caps to cover the radiator and subsequent damage (typically the automatic transmission). After 80,000 miles, the price cap is $2500 until 90,000 miles, when the cap raises to $3500 until the 100,000 mile mark. In other words, if you radiator only failed at 81,000 miles, you would be on the hook for the whole cost of the repair. However, at 81,000 miles, your radiator failed and damaged the transmission and the cost to fix it was, for example, $5000...then you would only have to pay the $2500 for the repair. Do yourself a favor and just replace the radiator and save yourself a whole lot of headache! Aftermarket radiators can be had for under $100 and haven't had the cooler failure issue.

Is there a particular radiator you would suggest that won't break the bank? Also how difficult is a radiator replacement?
It's not the easiest radiator replacement, unlike the earlier generations of the Pathfinder that were a "piece of cake." For whatever reason, Nissan designed it so that the A/C condenser mounts into the lower bracket with the radiator and the radiator has side extensions that need to be maneuvered past the lines to the A/C condenser. The fan shroud and electric fan are a little tricky to remove because you need to remove and install them together. I would have to think that with all of the radiator failures that there should be some R&R radiator vids on YouTube (if you can't find one for a Pathfinder, than search for similar year Frontier or Xterra as the procedure is the same).

As far as radiators that "won't break the bank," you don't mention how much is in the bank! But, there are plenty of options. Keep in mind that 95% of the plastic-tanked radiators on the market are made in China. I'm not saying that it's a problem as the quality of most of them is pretty good, but just stating the fact. Rockauto.com has several inexpensive choices that fall around $100, give or take. Many like the Spectra Premium radiator, which carries a 2-year warranty; the company is based out of Canada but the radiator is still made in China like most. I used a generic Ebay radiator in my 2006 and a Koyorad brand radiator in my 2008 and both are doing fine. One note: aftermarket radiators will not come with the foam that attaches to the tanks nor the foam that attaches to the radiator side mounts. The foam will probably be in poor shape when you get the radiator out. It's not imperative to replace the foam, but if you want to, they are next expensive from the Nissan dealer.
If you want to upgrade, for around $350 you can get an all-aluminum, CSF brand radiator from Stillen. If you go the CSF route, you'll want to either slightly modify the factory radiator cap to get it to work on the CSF radiator, or, cut the spring off of the cap that comes with the CSF radiator. The factory cap on the radiator does not have a spring on it (it's the cap on the reservoir that has the pressure cap on it). Failure to do so may give you cooling system issues.
You'll need two-gallons of coolant. If your serpentine belt and tensioner have 70,000 miles on it or more, it would be a good time to replace it (use the "enhancement kit," as it's called, which has a slightly shorter belt to get rid of potential belt squeak concerns). It's also a good time to replace the thermostat.

paradigm

Postby paradigm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:43 am

smj999smj wrote:
paradigm wrote:

It's not the easiest radiator replacement, unlike the earlier generations of the Pathfinder that were a "piece of cake." For whatever reason, Nissan designed it so that the A/C condenser mounts into the lower bracket with the radiator and the radiator has side extensions that need to be maneuvered past the lines to the A/C condenser. The fan shroud and electric fan are a little tricky to remove because you need to remove and install them together. I would have to think that with all of the radiator failures that there should be some R&R radiator vids on YouTube (if you can't find one for a Pathfinder, than search for similar year Frontier or Xterra as the procedure is the same).

As far as radiators that "won't break the bank," you don't mention how much is in the bank! But, there are plenty of options. Keep in mind that 95% of the plastic-tanked radiators on the market are made in China. I'm not saying that it's a problem as the quality of most of them is pretty good, but just stating the fact. Rockauto.com has several inexpensive choices that fall around $100, give or take. Many like the Spectra Premium radiator, which carries a 2-year warranty; the company is based out of Canada but the radiator is still made in China like most. I used a generic Ebay radiator in my 2006 and a Koyorad brand radiator in my 2008 and both are doing fine. One note: aftermarket radiators will not come with the foam that attaches to the tanks nor the foam that attaches to the radiator side mounts. The foam will probably be in poor shape when you get the radiator out. It's not imperative to replace the foam, but if you want to, they are next expensive from the Nissan dealer.
If you want to upgrade, for around $350 you can get an all-aluminum, CSF brand radiator from Stillen. If you go the CSF route, you'll want to either slightly modify the factory radiator cap to get it to work on the CSF radiator, or, cut the spring off of the cap that comes with the CSF radiator. The factory cap on the radiator does not have a spring on it (it's the cap on the reservoir that has the pressure cap on it). Failure to do so may give you cooling system issues.
You'll need two-gallons of coolant. If your serpentine belt and tensioner have 70,000 miles on it or more, it would be a good time to replace it (use the "enhancement kit," as it's called, which has a slightly shorter belt to get rid of potential belt squeak concerns). It's also a good time to replace the thermostat.
Awesome, good post thanks for the tips.
I am going to likely just do the bypass mod for now. Need to get some 5/16" hoses and caps this weekend until I spring to replace the radiator.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”