Drive belts - 97 Pathfinder SE

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Drive belts - 97 Pathfinder SE

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:40 pm

I have a 97 Pathfinder in which I am taking it soon to get the timing belt/water pump changed. The car currently has 175K miles and was wonder if it would be easier for the mechanic to change the belts (a/c belt, accesories belt) while they are swapping the water pump or just save it for down the road? Since I took ownership I never messed with the belts at all (got it when it was 150k). If I should change them while he is at it which ones is recommended to get from Rockauto?

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Belts are not a big ticket item. It wouldn't hurt to change them and be ready for the hot summer driving season coming up. They're so much easier to change in a shop than on the side of the highway. I'd be equally concerned about the radiator hoses and heater hoses, especially the 90 degree 1/2" hose between the motor and the firewall on the passenger side.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Hooligan wrote:Belts are not a big ticket item. It wouldn't hurt to change them and be ready for the hot summer driving season coming up. They're so much easier to change in a shop than on the side of the highway. I'd be equally concerned about the radiator hoses and heater hoses, especially the 90 degree 1/2" hose between the motor and the firewall on the passenger side.
Oh god! I had that leak on me during the time I was at the ATM! I replaced that already along with 2 hoses one that curves on the passenger side and the other on driver side that goes under the intake or somewhere near there.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:36 am

If the shop is doing the water pump or timing belt, the drive belts have to be removed, anyway, so there is no extra labor to replace the drive belts during the job. Whenever possible, I use Bando brand belts, which make many of the OEM belts for Nissan and they always fit they they are supposed to. They are also dirt cheap at Rockauto for your vehicle. Another hose to consider changing is the bypass hose (the elbow behind the rear timing cover). If replacing this hose, get it from Nissan, as the aftermarket versions don't quite have the correct angle and they don't fit as well. I'll also replace the front engine seals and thermostat while in there; stick with genuine Nissan on these parts, as well.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 am

smj999smj wrote:If the shop is doing the water pump or timing belt, the drive belts have to be removed, anyway, so there is no extra labor to replace the drive belts during the job. Whenever possible, I use Bando brand belts, which make many of the OEM belts for Nissan and they always fit they they are supposed to. They are also dirt cheap at Rockauto for your vehicle. Another hose to consider changing is the bypass hose (the elbow behind the rear timing cover). If replacing this hose, get it from Nissan, as the aftermarket versions don't quite have the correct angle and they don't fit as well. I'll also replace the front engine seals and thermostat while in there; stick with genuine Nissan on these parts, as well.
Man I messed up lmao! Got the whole rebuilt kit from Rockauto! Except the water pump gasket I got it from Nissan directly. I got the Dayco WP249K1CS part, I believe I went through the 30 day return policy! So I am not unsure what to do! Also got the gasket and thermostat from Rockauto as well. Is it ok if I just proceed as what I got?

As for the belt I am going to do that! Any recommendations what to get such as part numbers? I see that it uses multiple belts, as for the hose please guide me what part# it is, thank you for your input.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:05 am

The bypass hose is Nissan # 14055-0W000 and thermostat is 21200-V720A. Thermostat gasket is RTV silicone; I use Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High Torque RTV.

The Bando belt part #'s are: 4350, 6PK1065 and 6PK1285

The Dayco kit you purchased is fine and comes with the front seals. The gasket that comes in the kit is fine, as well; I coat them with Permatex Copper Spray Gasket before installing. Make sure you get all of the old gasket off; sometimes it can be a bit of a pain. The issue with aftermarket thermostats I've found is that many of them tend to run a little cooler than the factory part. The factory part will put the gauge needle right in the middle whereas the aftermarkets tend to put the needle more on the cold side of the middle and in some cases the heat won't be as warm as it normally would be.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:55 am

smj999smj wrote:The bypass hose is Nissan # 14055-0W000 and thermostat is 21200-V720A. Thermostat gasket is RTV silicone; I use Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High Torque RTV.

The Bando belt part #'s are: 4350, 6PK1065 and 6PK1285

The Dayco kit you purchased is fine and comes with the front seals. The gasket that comes in the kit is fine, as well; I coat them with Permatex Copper Spray Gasket before installing. Make sure you get all of the old gasket off; sometimes it can be a bit of a pain. The issue with aftermarket thermostats I've found is that many of them tend to run a little cooler than the factory part. The factory part will put the gauge needle right in the middle whereas the aftermarkets tend to put the needle more on the cold side of the middle and in some cases the heat won't be as warm as it normally would be.

Thank you for your guidance, I will go ahead and get the silicone and as well the spray, will I spray both sides of the seals?

As for the Bando belts it doesn't matter if it says LE model as mine is SE trim?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 am

XE, SE and LE all used the same 3.3L engine and belts. Don't spray the seals; lube them with grease. Use the copper spray gasket on the water pump gasket.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”