What is this leak?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

What is this leak?

Postby nismopath » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 pm

I just noticed a leak today when looking under the body. Can anyone help me as to what this may be and how to possibly fix? It’s a very small leak but still something that needs diagnosing.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 am

It's a tailhousing seal (or, "extension housing seal"). Assuming the support bushing is not worn allowing excessive play in the front driveshaft yoke, replacing the seal should fix the leak. Remove the driveshaft and the seal, install the new seal with some grease or ATF on the sealing lips, reinstall the driveshaft and top of the fluid level as needed.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:29 am

This doesn’t look fun! Ha.
How serious is this. It wasn’t a dripping leak, I just noticed a drop on the seal. Im trying to figure out if I have some time to figure out how to fix it or do I need to stop driving until it’s fixed?
Also are there any good write-ups? I tried googling it but came up empty.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 am

It's not hard at all. Remove the 4 bolts of the driveshaft and remove it out of the way. Use a seal puller to pop out the seal. Grease the new seal and tap it in. Re-install the driveshaft.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks, I went to Rock Auto but which do I want? 2006 v6 4x4 LE

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:18 am

If you have an LE, then you'll have the AUTO-mode transfer case. There are actually two seals on the back: the tailhousing oil seal and the dust cover (which is the part in your picture). You probably won't be able to remove the dust cover without damaging it, so replace both. Once you get the dust cover off, you'll see the oil seal. I would get the parts from Nissan; the oil seal is Nissan # 33140-7S110 and the dust seal is # 33141-7S11A.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks a lot !

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:32 pm

A) I just ordered the parts but had a question.. could this in any way cause a shaking or vibration at higher speeds? It feels like maybe an alignment or balancing issue but thought to ask if maybe this could be the issue before I go pay to get my tires balanced.

B) Would any high temp grease work for the seal? I have some grease from repacking trailer bearings laying around?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 am

That grease will work fine. As far as the vibration, the most common causes include out of balance wheels, bad U-joints or cross-contamination issues due to the radiator cooler failing and allowing engine coolant to mix with the trans fluid.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 am

Ok good, just a small amount around the seal is enough? And what exactly is the oil leaking from? I find that odd that oil is leaking but i don’t have to add any new oil ?

And the vibration seems to be coming from the body, nothing from the steering wheel? I had the transmission rebuilt and bypassed a while ago, so I went out yesterday based on why you had said and noticed that the last time I had my atf fluid changed they overfilled it. It’s way above the “normal†range. Is that really a bad thing and could that be my vibrating issue somehow? And should i drain some? I’ll google more about the U-bolts. Never thought about that

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:10 pm

Yes, just a small amount of grease around the seal to lubricate it. You could also use transmission fluid to lube it. The oil is leaking from the transfer case. Keep in mind that as you accelerate, the oil is moved towards the rear, so, it's not an uncommon place to develop a leak over time. You can check the transfer case level and add as needed.

Another place you may want to inspect is the body mounts between the frame and body; we have had a few Pathfinders on this site that have had to have them changed out.

As far as the ATF, a little over is not going to hurt anything. If it's a lot over, than you could always drain some out or take it back to the shop that serviced it and have them drain it out.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”