Replacing Antenna

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Replacing Antenna

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:09 am

Over the weekend my youngest sibling decided to take the car to the drive thru car wash; of course the machines ripped the antenna off the car! Now I am in the market on getting a replacement.

I found one that its into the car but cannot decide which one to get if the power or manual one; I am unsure if the car came with BOSE system since I obtain ownership it was with an aftermarket radio (it was not a double din); now am I wondering if I should get a power antenna or manual one? I am leaning on a power one. Also can anyone tell me how can I switch it out? What tools to need and how to replace it? Many thanks

97 Nissan Pathfinder SE :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:09 am

Does it have the factory, power antennae? If so, you can purchase the replacement mast from Nissan. If the plastic track broke inside the motor, you would have to remove the power antennae motor and open it up to remove the plastic track. But, if it didn't break the plastic track inside the motor, then it's a lot easier. Just remove the "nut" at the top of the antennae and turn the key "on" and radio "on." As the antennae mast (or track) is pushed up, grab it and pull it all the way out. There will also usually be a short, metal sleeve that has to be removed, as well, that will come with the new mast. Extend the new mast and feed the new track into the motor. Turn the radio "off" and guide the new antennae as the motor pulls the track and the rest of the antennae into the motor (the antennae doesn't have to be pulled completely in). Install the nut and tighten. Turn the radio "on" and the antennae will extend fully. Turn "off" and the antennae should retract fully into the motor.
If you need to remove the motor, you'll need to remove the glove box and panel behind it to unplug the antennae cable. I would tie a string onto it so that it will make pulling the cable back in easier. Remove the passenger front tire, mud guard and enough of the plastic inner fender liner to pull back and expose the antennae motor. With the nut removed at the top and the 10mm head bolts removed, pull the motor out from behind the fender. You will have to pull the grommet around the cable out and continue to pull until the motor and cable are completely out; don't pull the other end of the string completely out! When installing old or new antennae, tie the string to the cable and use it to assist pulling the cable through to the inside of the dash where you can get to it. Continue, using the reverse procedure to install the motor/antennae mast assembly.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:45 am

smj999smj wrote:Does it have the factory, power antennae? If so, you can purchase the replacement mast from Nissan. If the plastic track broke inside the motor, you would have to remove the power antennae motor and open it up to remove the plastic track. But, if it didn't break the plastic track inside the motor, then it's a lot easier. Just remove the "nut" at the top of the antennae and turn the key "on" and radio "on." As the antennae mast (or track) is pushed up, grab it and pull it all the way out. There will also usually be a short, metal sleeve that has to be removed, as well, that will come with the new mast. Extend the new mast and feed the new track into the motor. Turn the radio "off" and guide the new antennae as the motor pulls the track and the rest of the antennae into the motor (the antennae doesn't have to be pulled completely in). Install the nut and tighten. Turn the radio "on" and the antennae will extend fully. Turn "off" and the antennae should retract fully into the motor.
If you need to remove the motor, you'll need to remove the glove box and panel behind it to unplug the antennae cable. I would tie a string onto it so that it will make pulling the cable back in easier. Remove the passenger front tire, mud guard and enough of the plastic inner fender liner to pull back and expose the antennae motor. With the nut removed at the top and the 10mm head bolts removed, pull the motor out from behind the fender. You will have to pull the grommet around the cable out and continue to pull until the motor and cable are completely out; don't pull the other end of the string completely out! When installing old or new antennae, tie the string to the cable and use it to assist pulling the cable through to the inside of the dash where you can get to it. Continue, using the reverse procedure to install the motor/antennae mast assembly.

Thanks! This morning I checked and was able to see the antenna component since the time my tire blew out it actually took off the whole mud gards. To removed the glove box compartment Is there a bolt I need to remove? Also I haven't located or neither found any cabin filters for my car. Does it needs any? If so where its located?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”