Looking to purchase 2008 Pathfinder LE 5.8L V8

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Rshaley

Looking to purchase 2008 Pathfinder LE 5.8L V8

Postby Rshaley » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi everyone, I’m new to the site but have been reading lots of the posts over the past few weeks. Everyone seems super knowledgeable and helpful.

I’m looking at trading in my 2010 Murano for a 2008 pathfinder LE with the v8, the move is for towing purposes. The pathfinder has 143,000 km on it. A couple main questions:
1) how worried should I be about the radiator/tranny problem?
2) can someone provide a ball park figure for the cost to do the by-pass I’ve been reading a lot about? Is this something done fairly easily in my own garage or is it best to take to a shop to get done professionally?
3) are there any other issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:38 am

I would be concerned. We don't hear about too many failures on the V8 radiators, but, I think that's because there's a very small percentage of V8 Pathfinders; they use the same P/N. The bypass is something you can do yourself and is very inexpensive, but since you'll be towing, my recommendation is to simply replace the radiator if it hasn't been done, already; aftermarket radiators run about $100. A Carfax report would be a good thing to take a look at before buying it. Also, check for signs of contamination to the coolant and transmission.

Another common concern for the V8 is the exhaust manifolds have a tendency to crack.

smokint1

Postby smokint1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:37 am

I recently bought one and it had the cracked manifolds. Tough to find someone to repair them but they are repairable. Other than that hiccup I freaking love it.

VK56LE

Postby VK56LE » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:55 am

smokint1 wrote:I recently bought one and it had the cracked manifolds. Tough to find someone to repair them but they are repairable. Other than that hiccup I freaking love it.
Which part cracked on yours? I get a tick on startup but no noise once it starts running. I'm thinking the gasket may be leaking just a bit but the manifold may be starting to crack.

smokint1

Postby smokint1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:00 am

That's exactly when I heard mine, outside chance it's the gasket but most likely it's the manifold itself. Both mine had slight cracks and the guy that fixed it said he had to clean them real well to even see them and they occur on the side that faces the motor so they have to be removed.

VK56LE

Postby VK56LE » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:18 am

smokint1 wrote:That's exactly when I heard mine, outside chance it's the gasket but most likely it's the manifold itself. Both mine had slight cracks and the guy that fixed it said he had to clean them real well to even see them and they occur on the side that faces the motor so they have to be removed.
It's a big job to pull them off, especially on a 4X4. Did he just tig weld the cracks? This will have to be a week when I'm on vacation probably.

smokint1

Postby smokint1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 am

I'm not sure what type of welding he used. It was done at a muffler shop worked in over a week and a half. It was a big job and I do have the 4x4. He charged me 400 but I gave him 5 because I knew what was involved lol.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”