Radiator flush

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Radiator flush

Postby jetstream87 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:09 pm

I am leaning on doing a radiator flush over the weekend (if not next since its been pretty hot lately!) Which if I remember correctly the radiator does have a petcock valve to drain, I am going to put some radiator flush fluid a few days before draining. Now will this get the old coolant 100% out since I will be using distilled water for the process and then filling up with HOAT coolant. Any suggestions or preference? Will this process not get the coolant 100% out?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 pm

It's difficult to get all of the coolant out, especially if you have rear heat. Plus, unless you completely drain the engine block, there will still be some left there, too. Nissan uses long-life coolant (green) and even longer-life coolant (blue) starting in 2010. There is usually no reason to do a complete flush of the system. A drain and fill will replace two gallons of coolant in the system and is sufficient. If you want to stick with OEM coolant, Pentosin is now sold at many major auto parts stores. Pentosin Pentafrost A2 (green) can be mixed 50/50 with distilled water and Pentosin Pentafrost A3 (blue) is sold as "pre-mixed."

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”