Aux input /PAC Audio AAI-NIS2 install in 06 Pathfinder w/Nav

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Aux input /PAC Audio AAI-NIS2 install in 06 Pathfinder w/Nav

Postby blink32 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:21 pm

So you've probably seen my other post asking for help finding an Auxillary input for my stock head unit in my 2006 Pathfinder. Thanks to the suggestions and links from others I got a PAC Audio AAI-NIS2 component. From PAC's website any SAT ready headunit is compatible with this part. The fun part after that is determining whether or not your head unit is sat ready. RacerZX found that all 06's and most of the 05's are SAT ready. Interpreting from PAC's instructions on use if your head unit has a SAT / Radio or Presets ABC buttons then you should be good to go. I personally have the Radio and Presets ABC buttons.

The install is very straight forward, should take about 15 minutes. The only tool you have to have is a medium length #2 phillips screwdriver. Otherwise the list below is my recommendation:
#2 Phillips Screwdriver, Med to Long
Small flat screwdriver (helps to remove electrical plugs)
Plastic/nylon pry tool (aid in removing trim pieces)
Roll Masking tape (for protecting against scratching)
A helper to make sure you don't accidently scratch up your dash

The holy grail, PAC Audio AAI-NIS2

So here is my stock console. This walk through is for those with Nav. W/o nav the process is overall the same but there is a "catch all" pocket deal that will need to be removed and a screw taken out.

The first order of business is to remove the trim piece around the cup holders. This is done by pulling straight up. There are 4 clips holding this piece in place, highlighted in red. A nylon pry tool would have provided a lot of extra leverage.

With that piece out of the way I removed the cover for the shift lock, and put the transmission in 2/1. I put a piece of masking tape over the top of the shift trim. Then its a process of pulling up and towards the back of the vehicle to release 6 trim clips and pull the next trim piece off the dash. Reference the previous picture and this one to see where to pull to release the clips. This piece is the first one with electrical connectors behind it. Mine had 4, 1 each for the heated seats, VDC button and 2wd/4wd selector, your mileage may vary.

Now you must remove the trim piece that houses the center vents, and all your controls for HVAC, Stereo, NAV, etc. Again, this piece simply pulls out towards the rear of the vehicle. I pulled on the "hood" over the screen and near the bottom of the piece. Behind this panel are 6 more electrical connectors. Four are the normal snap in type that you must depress a "button" to remove. Two others are a style that lever into its receptical, you will see them at the top of the next picture, the plugs with the grey lever.

This is how the screen looks once you remove the bezel.

Remove the 4 mounting screws holding your stereo in place. Two of them are highlighted in red 2 images ago, the other 2 lower screws are highlighted below.

Remove the radio and the electrical connections. I only had 5 connections hooked up. But there are a total of 6. Plug in the inline NIS2 connections as shown below. I wasn't able to forcebly mix up the connections so its dummy proof.

Before you replace the stereo make a note of the setting on the side of the NIS2, there is a switch for W/SAT or W/OSAT. Mine was set to W/O as a default, choose the appropriate setting for your setup.

Install is the reverse. Plug the connections into the back of the stereo and the NIS2 as appropriate, replace the stereo and the 4 mounting screws. There is a TON of space behind the dash to mount the NIS2 wherever you want. I personally am going to wrap it in some foam and let it sit under the center console. I also don't have any final install pictures. I left the bottom two trim pieces off as I want to mount bulkhead style plugs, one pair for RCA L&R for AUX Input 2 and a single 3.5mm headphone style plug for Aux Input 1.

Once you have the device hooked up its a simple operation. In my case you hit the Preset ABC button until your on the A set of channels, then you press RADIO until SR CH-001 is displayed. This is Aux Input 1. Same procedure but choose the B set of channels to get to the other input.

I have to give thanks to Boogyman and RacerZX for the info on PAC.

And a shout to LogJam Electronics.
Authorized retailer for PAC. Only place I found that actually carried this item without resorting to calling them. None of the 10 other companys that were listed on PAC's own site as retailers that I contacted carried this. Some didn't even carry any PAC items. Logjam carried them all and had them online for quick and easy shopping. Not the cheapest but PAC states on their website they will not do any warranty work for items purchased from EBAY I didn't want to take the chance on other dealers. I ordered this thing on a thursday early-mid afternoon, I had it in my hands when I got home from work on Monday. Indiana to NJ in 2 business days. That I can deal with.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:02 am

Damn fine writeup, excellent!!!

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:46 am

I'm glad it all worked out. You did a very good job on the writeup with pics. You'll have to show where you mounted the sat receiver. Hope you had a good space to help it blend in.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:01 am

I didn't put a sat reciever in. I just wanted this so I could hook up portable mp3 players and more importantly, my portable DVD player :). Those FM Modulators just don't work on my travel routes.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:37 pm

So I finally got this all installed and working. I've had my dash apart for the better part of 3 weeks while I was waiting for my custom cable. Thought I had it all fixed yesterday but after breaking the cardinal rule of test BEFORE you put everything back together I found I had no sound from my passenger side through Input #2. Turns out that Dollar Store RCA cable wasn't worth the $1.07 I paid for it. Swapped that out today and ops check good.

But here are some pictures of how I've got my hookups. I'm thinking about going back in there later on and VCI-NIS/AV to add in a backup camera and maybe play my portable dvd player through the stock screen as well.

Last edited by blink32 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vwpower

Postby vwpower » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:38 am

Anyway I can get the pictures for this install again? :?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:36 am

Images updated in original post.
Last edited by blink32 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vwpower

Postby vwpower » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:03 am

thanks

deciacco

Postby deciacco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Any chance these photos can be reposted? Its been a while and the photos are gone...

Thanks!!

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Damn. Wish these photos could be re-uploaded too :(

johnwen

NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics

Postby johnwen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:11 pm

thanks for your sharing

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:25 pm

I just installed this Bluetooth kit and it works(!):

http://www.icarkits.com/cars/NISSAN_PAT ... 06/BNIS3V9

While I did not take any pics, between the instructions in the original post and those available from the adapter manufacturer it was pretty straightforward.

Link to mfr instructions:

http://www.neocaraudio.com/pdf/BNIS3V9.pdf

You can also find some youtube videos which involve tearing apart the dash but it's really no big deal. The OP did a good job of explaining it.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”