Coolant drain and refill

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dawgn86

Coolant drain and refill

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi guys

I know there is a post somewhere on this forum with very good directions on the drain and refill of the radiator coolant, but I cant seem to find it.

Anyone have it handy?

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Drain and fill takes two gallons of coolant. 2006 would have Nissan "green" coolant, which is the same as Pentosin Pentafrost A2 anti-freeze, from the factory. I prefer to use the Pentafrost A2 or genuine Nissan coolant, but Prestone or SuperTech "universal color" anti-freeze and similar coolants will work, as well. The coolant should be HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology). FYI, the Pentosin anti-freeze can be found at Autozone and many other parts stores, as well as from Rockauto. It is a concentrate and should be mixed with a gallon of distilled water.

De-pressurize the system and remove the radiator drain plug with a large, flat-blade screwdriver. Pay attention to the gasket, which may come out with the drain plug or stay inside the recess for the drain plug. Just make sure it's on the drain plug before you install it! Remove the radiator and reservoir caps and don't mix them up! The radiator cap will NOT have a spring on the underside and the reservoir cap, which is the pressure cap of the system, will have the spring on the bottom of the cap.

When you complete draining the system, re-install the drain plug into the radiator bottom tank. If you have one, install a Spill-free funnel on the radiator. Pour the coolant into the radiator. If it's pre-mixed, you needn't do anything to it. If you are using concentrated anti-freeze, you can pre-mix the two before installing it. For me, I pour a half gallon of distilled water in followed by a half gallon of the coolant. Then I pour the rest of the water followed by the rest of the coolant. When the radiator is full, install the cap and continue filling the reservoir. If the reservoir reaches the "MAX" line before you run out of coolant, you can let it settle for a few minutes and then pour the rest in if the level has dropped, or, if the level doesn't drop, put the rest on the side and save in case you need to top off the system, later. Every time I've done this, I always used exactly two gallons. When finished, install the cap on the reservoir.

Jack the front of the vehicle up as much as safely possible, or park "nose up" on a steep hill or incline (or car ramps). Start the engine and turn on the front and rear heaters, setting to the hottest temperature setting. Run the engine at 2000-3000 RPM for around ten minutes. Check and see if the air from the heater vents is hot (usually they blow around 140 degrees F. when the heater is operating properly). If it's not hot enough, continue running the engine until the output temperature is good. When the temperature is good, lower the vehicle, if necessary, and shut off. When it cools off, top off the coolant in the reservoir as necessary.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:42 am

Thanks SMJ.

Now, which one is the "universal color" Supertech?
1 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-5 ... x/16928010

or

2 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-A ... t/16645420

They both say "mixes with any color antifreeze and coolant"

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks SMJ...my PF is 12 years old..never had hoses or thermostat replaced. Would you recommend doing this while the radiator is empty?

Your advice and write up is appreciated!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 am

FLiPMaRC wrote:Thanks SMJ.

Now, which one is the "universal color" Supertech?
1 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-5 ... x/16928010

or

2 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-A ... t/16645420

They both say "mixes with any color antifreeze and coolant"
They both are; the white jug is "pre-mix" and the blue jug is "concentrate." If you purchase the white jug, you'll need to jugs and DO NOT mix with water. If you purchase the blue jug, you just need one jug plus a gallon of distilled water.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:38 am

dawgn86 wrote:Thanks SMJ...my PF is 12 years old..never had hoses or thermostat replaced. Would you recommend doing this while the radiator is empty?

Your advice and write up is appreciated!
It certainly would be a good time to do it. The OE hoses are made by Good Year. I would stick with genuine Nissan when it comes to the thermostat and gasket, which have to be purchased separately.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 am

just left the Nissan dealer..got the hoses, thermost and gasket.

two more quick questions if I may:

does the gasket need any RTV sealant? It seems to be a metallic gasket

any specific torque on the thermostat bolts when replacing?

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:59 am

Torque spec is 80 inch/pounds. There is no need for RTV on the metal gasket. If I were to use anything on it, it would be Permatex copper spray gasket.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks! job is finished! only used gasket and snugged the bolts good.

did it up on ramps and an incline..was blowing cold air out of the vents until I realized I still had the AC on :oops:

no visible leaks anywhere

the air did get warm after about ten minutes...I added some to the resevoir and backed it out to the driveway..im going to let it cool off and then check both radiator and resevoir.

The write up and advice is appreciated!

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Just did this, thanks for the write up!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Great job DIYers and Thanks SMJ for hitting another home run! :D

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”