Am taking the Nissan out of the country for an extended peri

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Am taking the Nissan out of the country for an extended peri

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:15 pm

This is my Xterra not my R51 Pathy…

But since they are both mechanically so close (except for rear suspension the Xterra is basically a shortened R51 with some decontenting in interior switchgear) I thought this might be of interest on here too.

So I am going over it with a fine tooth comb (where I am going has full services but they are expensive, like oil changes for 200 bucks)

Things done to it in last 7 days:

- Oil Change Mobil1 Oil+ Mobil1 Extended filter
- New brake pads up front, (SUV brake pedal feels more solid now and brake actions starts at a lesser depression of brake pedal)
- Bleed Brakes with Valvoline SynPower Brake fluid (love how clear it now looks!)
- New Radiator Cap
-Topped off the coolant
(- I would have done other fluids too but they look great)

Still to come for sure:

- Hoses look good but the top hose (hot coolant inflow from engine) which I understand is usually the first to fail I want replaced.. Its also the easiest to replace so it will not cost much. Also will lose some coolant this way and use opportunity to add more new Nissan Blue Coolant mix.
- Underbody looks pretty good except for rear diff cover which is rusty. Will be taken off, rust wire brushed off and then painted with anti rust paste. (this of course will also replace the rear diff fluid.. it doesn't strictly need this but no choice on since cover is coming off.)
- Adjusting parking brake

Probably:

- New Hankook Dynapro ATM in 265/75/16 (Tires still running great but definitely wearing down noticeably.. If staying in USA could easily wait another 6 months or more but I want to avoid huge European labor costs)
- New pressure sensors (two of them are broke and I get tons of false positives) to be done in conjunction w/ tires.

Maybe:

- Add a leaf for the rear.
The rear is doing ok but like all Xterras its a bit soft..I've seen worse on my other XTerra and had that worse called "fine" by the Nissan dealer...so am on the fence for that...... definitely not a need but more a want.. Depending on scheduling (and the state of my wallet) might put an AAL in there for extra payload.

PS: Quickly approaching 130,000 miles on this 2011.

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:12 am

You been a busy chap then !

You'll be getting the spray paints out soon and blnging your bits like i do !!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 am

:D

Graham this is what I did sine last post

As predicted did this:

- Hoses look good but the top hose (hot coolant inflow from engine) which I understand is usually the first to fail I want replaced.. Its also the easiest to replace so it will not cost much. Also will lose some coolant this way and use opportunity to add more new Nissan Blue Coolant mix.
- Underbody looks pretty good except for rear diff cover which is rusty. Will be taken off, rust wire brushed off and then painted with anti rust paste. (this of course will also replace the rear diff fluid.. it doesn't strictly need this but no choice on since cover is coming off.)
- Adjusted parking brake

From the "probably" did this:
- New tires all around Hankook DynaproATM ( AT rated and mountain snowflake rated)
- New tyre pressure sensors all around

Didnt add the rear leaf since the truck seems to be fine w/ stock.

Also shocks/struts have all been done by previous owner in past 2 years or so.

Radiator got a partial replace of fluid with Nissan Blue when the hose was done.

Since i had driven more thna predicted Did another oilchange with Mobil 1 extended filter and Mobl 1 5w-30 extended dran and high milage engine oil.
Oil was on sale for only 26 bucks for 5 quarts!

activedirectoryexport

Very nice post

Postby activedirectoryexport » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:32 am

Really very nice post and also very interesting too. Thanks for sharing here a useful article.

Return to “General Automotive”